Uttar Pradesh policeman shoots at youth, suspendedNovember 23rd, 2008 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 23 (IANS) A policeman shot at a youth, who was being chased by a few youths, in Uttar Pradesh’s Mathura district Sunday afternoon. The policeman has been suspended, a police official said.According to eyewitnesses, inspector Mahesh Gautam of Kotwali police station in Mathura district, about 370 km from here, saw Akram being chased by few youths.
“He (Akram) was running away and a few youths were following him,” said a local resident.
Hearing the ruckus, Gautam came out of the police station and suspecting Akram to be a criminal, fired at him.
Senior police officials, however, said that during a scuffle the service revolver of inspector Mahesh Gautam went off.
“According to our information, Gautam caught him (Akram) and as he tried to escape, the service revolver went off,” Sanjay Kumar, assistant superintendent of police, told IANS over phone.
Akram, who was shot in the stomach, was referred to an Agra hospital for treatment.
“We have suspended Gautam and an enquiry has been initiated in the entire incident,” Kumar added.
- Constable fires at cop in UP police station - Apr 09, 2012
- UP cops accidentally kill youth - Sep 01, 2012
- Kanpur cop dies after being shot inside police station (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Youth shoots at cops inside Kanpur police station - Mar 30, 2012
- CBI probe demanded into Bihar girl's suicide - Sep 06, 2012
- Criminal shoots at cop in UP - Aug 15, 2012
- Policeman, officials scuffle at Bengal assembly complex - Mar 24, 2011
- Delhi constable dies in accidental firing - Jul 02, 2010
- Two patrolling policemen killed in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 28, 2011
- Boy shot dead by drunk Delhi cop (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Delhi cop commits suicide - Jun 30, 2010
- Cop suspended for not cooperating in Assam youth's death-probe - Jul 26, 2012
- Slain man's family approaches court for higher compensation - Oct 14, 2011
- Delhi cop who 'shoved' elderly man suspended - Mar 01, 2012
- Rajasthan Police constable electrocuted - Aug 03, 2012