Uttar Pradesh police nab fraudster in GoaJune 14th, 2008 - 10:31 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 14 (IANS) The Special Task Force (STF) of the Uttar Pradesh Police has arrested Jagmohan Chawla, accused of duping investors across the country and wanted for a decade, from Goa, authorities said Saturday. He was produced in a Goa court and brought to Lucknow Saturday on a transit remand.
Chawla is accused of cheating many through his finance companies in Delhi, Lucknow, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad, police said.
“The police were searching for him for the past 10 years after the first case was lodged against him in Lucknow in 1998,” said a press release from the Director General of Police Headquarters.
Police said four other cases were later registered against him and he allegedly embezzled around Rs.600 million from investors in Lucknow.
Chawla used to collect money by promising high returns. Investors filed complaints against him after he failed to pay back.
“His finance companies, Rockland Leasing and Rockland Thermonix, had nearly 50 branches in many parts of the country,” Additional Superintendent of Police Manoj Jha told IANS.
Chawla’s son Arun Chawla and his associate Sandhya Gupta were arrested from Delhi and Noida in 2007 and 2006 respectively, he added.
The Economic Offence Wing (EOW) had been conducting the investigation but it sought the assistance of the STF after it failed to get Chawla.
Chawla would now be interrogated by the EOW for recovering the money.
- One arrested in Kanpur for Shehla murder - Mar 19, 2012
- Tripura to probe illegal financial firms - Mar 07, 2012
- Former Delhi legislator sent to police custody - Jun 18, 2009
- Gangster arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 10, 2012
- Goa newspaper's editor, wife arrested for cheating investors - Sep 06, 2012
- Probe into duping of aspiring Haj pilgrims - Dec 19, 2011
- New police units to handle specialized crimes in Odisha - Feb 26, 2012
- Dawood Ibrahim's aide arrested - Oct 08, 2010
- Elephant tusk pieces seized, three arrested - Sep 17, 2012
- Manipur's investment company dupes thousands of depositors - Oct 16, 2010
- Former Delhi legislator, wife arrested for Rs.20 bn fraud - Jun 17, 2009
- Two accounts officers held in fraud case - Jun 23, 2011
- Four executives held for illegal money transfers in Odisha - Aug 04, 2012
- Accountant, wife booked for fraud - Jun 16, 2012
- Punjab trader arrested for duping man of Rs.10 mn - Jun 15, 2011