Uttar Pradesh police books 80-year-old under Gangster ActFebruary 5th, 2009 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 5 (IANS) How much harm can an 80-year-old man do? Apparently enough to be booked under the Goonda Act by the Uttar Pradesh police, who now deny any knowledge of the matter and have promised an inquiry into the matter.
Hamid Khan, an octogenarian in Shahbazpur village in Badaun district has been booked under a tough anti-gangster law, the Goonda Act.
The Goonda Act provides preventive detention up to three months and imposes stringent conditions for bail.
Khan, however, alleges that he has been falsely implicated.
“I have also moved an application to the district police chief, pleading for him to intervene in the false case registered against me,” Khan told reporters Thursday in Badaun.
“Last June some people, carrying firearms, barged into my home and escaped with valuables. Interestingly, when I went to the Sahaswan police station to register a complaint, the police officials, who apparently connived with the robbers, booked me instead under the Goonda Act,” Khan alleged.
Khan is now planning to approach the state human rights commission.
“I will also write a letter to Chief Minister Mayawati,” Khan said.
When contacted, district police chief Prakash D. expressed surprise over the incident and said: “Though the application of the old man has not come to me, I will order an inquiry into the case.”
“Necessary action would be taken against the policemen, if found guilty,” he added.
- Eight-year-old booked under gangster act in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 20, 2009
- Badaun court orders registration of FIR against Azam Khan on Kashmir remarks - Jan 18, 2011
- BSP legislator booked for accident - Sep 10, 2011
- 10 develop eye infection from Holi colours - Mar 22, 2011
- Mumbai NGO wants security checks on sand barges - Jul 15, 2011
- Tejinder's plea against army chief sent to another court (Second Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Machine gun, hand grenades seized from cop's house - Dec 22, 2010
- Eight Chinese nationals arrested in Himachal (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Man kills wife, daughter - Mar 12, 2011
- Assaulted Russian woman fears for life - Mar 03, 2012
- 5 Delhi cops to be booked for fake drugs case, bribe - Oct 12, 2010
- Liberal distribution of firearms licences in Uttar Pradesh a concern: CEC - Nov 28, 2011
- Five firms face CBI cases, raids in coal blocks allocation (Third Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Ready to face jail death probe: Uttar Pradesh official - Jun 28, 2011
- NCRB tag not worrying: Kerala minister - Jul 13, 2012