Uttar Pradesh on backfoot against Mumbai in Ranji finalJanuary 13th, 2009 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Jan 13 (IANS) Mumbai cashed in on Uttar Pradesh’s fielding errors to score 402 in the first innings on the second day of the Ranji Trophy final here Tuesday.At close of play, Uttar Pradesh were struggling at 91 for three with Shivkant Shukla batting on 46 and Parvinder Singh yet to open his account after Zaheer Khan picked up two for 11 at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium in Uppal.
Resuming at overnight 297 for six, Rohit Sharma (141) carried on his lucky innings that was characterised by the several edges and dropped chances by butter fingered Uttar Pradesh fielders.
Uttar Pradesh finally got Sharma’s wicket in the morning after the batsman added 28 runs to his overnight score. Sharma and Ajit Agarkar (47) added 82 runs for the seventh wicket.
After showing their generosity towards Sharma on the first day, Uttar Pradesh fielders also showered favours on Zaheer Khan (33) and Dhawal Kulkarni (11 not out) by dropping four catches, missed one stumping and two run-outs.
Uttar Pradesh skipper Mohammed Kaif’s move to introduce Praveen Gupta worked as the left-arm spinner struck twice in his second over of the day to reduce Mumbai to 344 for eight.
But wicket-keeper Amir Khan dropped Kulkarni as UP’s frustrating day on the field continued.
Zaheer punished the Uttar Pradesh bowlers and finally got out in the first over after lunch.
Zaheer came out with the ball to give Mumbai a brilliant start by removing opener Tanmay Srivastava (6) in the third over.
A brilliant direct throw from Sairaj Bahutule saw Suresh Raina return to the pavilion without opening his account.
With the innings hanging at 2/6, Kaif (33) and Shukla tried to repair the innings. But with just 3.4 overs to go, Zaheer bowled a superb reverse-swinging delivery, which fooled the batsman and umpire too. There was some deviation and sound, which was of the bat hitting the pad but the umpire gave Kaif caught behind and it turned out to be a howler.
- Ranji Trophy: Ravindra Jadeja strikes triple ton against Orissa - Nov 04, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Karnataka, Punjab win; Mukund strikes double ton - Nov 12, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Mumbai begin with a big win over Railways - Nov 06, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Raina cracks unbeaten double century; Harbhajan goes wicketless - Nov 05, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Ganguly scores century against Haryana - Dec 01, 2011
- Konwar bags five to bowl out UP for 213 (Ranji Roundup) - Dec 24, 2009
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at lunch on fourth day - Aug 26, 2012
- Easy win for Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra in Ranji Trophy - Nov 04, 2010
- Lunch Scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day Four, Fourth Test - Jan 27, 2012
- Ranji Trophy: Saurashtra well placed against Railways - Dec 22, 2011
- Final Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, 1st Test - Aug 26, 2012
- India staring at third big defeat in Australia (Roundup) - Jan 14, 2012
- India suffer batting collapse, Hilfenhaus bags maiden fifer (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day Four, Fourth Test - Jan 27, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day Three, Fourth Test - Jan 26, 2012