Uttar Pradesh minister intervenes to save stray tigerJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 23 (IANS) Alerted by the intervention of the high court, Uttar Pradesh Forest Minister Fateh Bahadur Singh has come to the rescue of the young tiger that strayed out of the forest in Pilibhit district of Uttar Pradesh and has already killed three people.”I have made it very clear to my officials that they must not leave any stone unturned to first trap or tranquilise the tiger. Killing the animal could be only the last resort,” Singh told IANS Friday.
The two-and-a-half year old tiger has killed three people in the past two months and was declared a “man-eater”.
A wildlife enthusiast moved a public interest litigation (PIL) petition before the Lucknow bench of Allahabad High Court to restrain the wildlife department officials from gunning down the tiger. Taking cognizance of the petition, the court directed the department to furnish a detailed counter-affidavit and fixed Jan 28 as the date for the next hearing.
In a swift response, the minister decided to intervene in the matter.
He said: “Not only in this case but it is our standard policy not to allow killing of a tiger. We are equally concerned over the fate of the endangered species.”
Petitioner Kaushlendra Singh, who is also a member of the Uttarakhand State Wildlife Board, said: “Thousands of people die every year on account of snake bites, but does that entitle the government to order killing of all snakes?”
“In the same manner how can you issue a death warrant for a tiger simply because he kills a human being and because the department is not able to tranquilise or trap the animal.”
- Uttar pradesh man-eater to be killed only as last resort: Minister (Lead) - Jan 23, 2009
- Stray Uttar Pradesh man-eater tiger shot, wounded (Lead, Changing dateline) - Feb 08, 2009
- 'Man-killer' tiger to be tranquilised - Aug 28, 2010
- Tiger on prowl in Lucknow's neighbourhood - Jan 10, 2012
- 16 killed by tigers in Uttar Pradesh in 10 months - Jan 13, 2011
- Stray tiger continues to elude Uttar Pradesh officials - Feb 05, 2009
- Tiger on prowl near Lucknow finally trapped - Apr 25, 2012
- Man-eater leopard trapped alive by wildlife enthusiast - Nov 18, 2011
- Tiger kills man in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 27, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh man-eater tiger falls to Hyderabad expert's bullets (Lead) - Feb 25, 2009
- PIL filed against killing order of Uttar Pradesh tiger - Jan 21, 2009
- Man-eater strikes in Pilibhit again - Aug 11, 2010
- Another stray tiger keeps Uttar Pradesh officials on tenterhooks - Feb 26, 2009
- Man-eating tiger tranquilised in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 01, 2009
- Elusive man-eater tiger gives sleepless nights in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 18, 2009