Uttar Pradesh ignoring Vrindavan widows: SCJuly 30th, 2012 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday chided the Uttar Pradesh government for not being sensitive to the plight of widows abandoned by their kin and living in miserable conditions in Vrindavan.
Describing the plight of the widows as a “serious human problem”, the apex court bench of Justice D.K. Jain and Justice Madan B. Lokur reprimanded the government saying “no body is concerned” about them.
“Spend some money here also,” the court said, drawing the government’s attention.
“Now at least you should be a progressive state,” the court said.
When the state government wanted the court to issue direction, Justice Jain said: “Why you can’t do it on your, why you need direction.”
The court said this while hearing a public interest litigation by NGO Environment and Consumer Protection Foundation and a plea of the National Legal Services Authority seeking the rehabilitation of the widows.
The court was given suggestions for improving the health and medical facilities for the widows, providing better toilets, food and disbursement of pension and other cash benefits to them.
The matter would be next heard Aug 3.
- Virandavan widows: SC notice to UP, Bengal, Odisha - Jul 23, 2012
- Supreme Court comes to rescue of Vrindavan widows - Aug 03, 2012
- Apex court sets up panel on Vrindavan widows - May 09, 2012
- Apex court queries Delhi airport development fee - Aug 21, 2012
- Plea in SC seeks Assam government's dismissal (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- SC to review build-operate-transfer policy - May 09, 2012
- Justice Lokur sworn in as Supreme Court judge (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- CBI asked to probe Kandla Port Trust land leases - Mar 11, 2010
- NGO wants SC to reject presidential reference in 2G case - Jul 10, 2012
- Centre backs Bihar's running of MPLADS schemes - Jul 13, 2012
- Sulabh disburses monthly aid to Vrindavan widows - Aug 22, 2012
- Justice Lokur sworn in as Supreme Court judge - Jun 04, 2012
- Government panel wants natural resources' auction, SC told - Jul 11, 2012
- Apex court pulls up Teesta Setalvad for letters to UN panel (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
- Court refuses to stay IIT-JEE 2010 result - May 19, 2010
Tags: apex, apex court, consumer protection, court bench, disbursement, justice jain, madan, medical facilities, miserable conditions, New Delhi, ngo, plea, plight, progressive state, public interest litigation, state government, supreme court, toilets, uttar pradesh government, vrindavan widows