Uttar Pradesh fake currency scam: CBI takes over probeSeptember 17th, 2008 - 3:39 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 17 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has taken over the fake currency scam that was unearthed in the State Bank of India’s (SBI) Domariyaganj branch in Uttar Pradesh, officials said Wednesday.”A CBI team is slated to reach Lucknow Wednesday and the state’s Special Investigation Team (SIT) officials will brief them regarding the case and the proceedings till date,” additional director general of police, (crime, Law and order), Brijlal told IANS.
The scam was unearthed after the arrest of the cashier of the SBI Domariyaganj branch, Sudhakar Tripathi July 29, and Rs.30 million were found to be fake in the currency chest after the Reserve Bank of India scanned the notes.
“The case was referred to CBI about a month ago and till date the case was being jointly probed by the Special Task Force (STF) and the SIT,” Brijlal added.
Besides the Domariyaganj case, two other fake currency cases, in Aligarh and Bijnore, were also referred to the CBI earlier.
“All these cases will be probed by the CBI,” he added.
Meanwhile, in yet another seizure of fake currency in the state, the Kanpur police arrested four persons late Tuesday and recovered fake currency notes worth over Rs.100,000.
“Viresh Sharma, Avnish Kumar, Amar singh and Pankaj Bhadauriya were arrested from Vishnugarh locality. The notes are of the denomination of Rs. 100 and Rs.500,” superintendent of police, Prakash Tripathi, told IANS.
The police also seized the luxury car they were travelling in and they have confessed to buying the fake notes from a person in Etah district at sixty percent value, he added.
- Police say more bank staff involved in fake currency scam (Lead) - Aug 12, 2008
- Two held in Uttar Pradesh with fake notes - Dec 11, 2010
- Fake currency scam: Cashier admits to exchanging fake notes with real (Lead) - Aug 07, 2008
- Delhi policemen arrested in UP for kidnapping engineer - Aug 08, 2012
- Reserve Bank finds Rs.30 mn fake currency in State Bank currency chest - Aug 25, 2008
- Uttar Pradesh fake currency cases up to 81, two more held - Sep 28, 2008
- SBI manager, accountant suspended in fake currency scam - Aug 28, 2008
- Uttar Pradesh fake currency scam: CBI summons senior SBI officials - Oct 05, 2008
- UP Police seize fake currency worth Rs 2,65,000 - Dec 08, 2010
- RBI scanning seven more SBI branches for fake currency - Aug 10, 2008
- Uttar Pradesh for CBI probe into fake currency racket - Aug 09, 2008
- Bank cashier quizzed on recovery of fake currency notes - Aug 06, 2008
- Termites eat up currency worth Rs.1 crore - Apr 21, 2011
- Fake cheques scam unearthed in Kanpur bank - Aug 05, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh healthcare scam: Engineer shoots himself (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012