Uttar Pradesh engineers’ association suspends strikeDecember 26th, 2008 - 11:44 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 26 (IANS) A state-wide strike by the Uttar Pradesh Engineers’ Association to protest the lynching of a colleague, allegedly by a ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) legislator, has been been suspended, an official said.”After Public Works Department (PWD) Minister Naseemuddin Siddiqui gave an assurance that the state government would comply with our demands, we have decided to suspend the strike which was on since Wednesday,” association president A.Q. Farooqui told IANS.
The PWD minister agreed that no one from the department was involved in the killing of engineer M.K. Gupta. “The minister assured us that he would check cases of extortion against engineers,” he added.
According to the association members, the state government has also provided security to the slain engineer’s family. The association members warned that they would resume their strike if they were not satisfied with the steps taken by the government.
Meanwhile, additional director general of police (law and order) Brij Lal said the identity of the two persons - Tyagi and Bhatia, whose names have been mentioned in the FIR (First information Report), would be disclosed only after they are arrested.
Gupta was allegedly lynched by BSP legislator Shekhar Tiwari and three of his cohorts on Wednesday in Auraiya district, 250 km from here, for refusing to contribute Rs.5 million for Chief Minister Mayawati’s birthday bash Jan 15.
- BSP MLA gets life for engineer's killing (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- More BSP names could tumble out in engineer's killing - Dec 27, 2008
- Expected death sentence for killers: Slain engineer's mother - May 06, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh engineer lynched by BSP legislator, supporters (Lead) - Dec 24, 2008
- Slain engineer's son declines Mayawati's compensation - Dec 26, 2008
- Life term for BSP legislator in engineer's murder (Second Lead) - May 06, 2011
- BSP legislator lynches engineer in Uttar Pradesh, Mayawati link denied (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2008
- BSP in spot after legislator's arrest for lynching engineer (Roundup) - Dec 24, 2008
- Mulayam, Amar visit slain engineer's parental home - Dec 28, 2008
- Engineer's lynching provokes Samajwadi party's shutdown call - Dec 24, 2008
- Uttar Pradesh girl was raped by legislator, his guards - Jan 11, 2011
- BSP protests renaming of Lucknow's Kanshi Ram park - Aug 07, 2012
- BSP leader manipulating engineer's murder case, says witness - Oct 14, 2009
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's rape (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- BSP stages protest rallies against petrol price hike - May 31, 2011