Uttar Pradesh diesel dealers threaten to stop businessNovember 8th, 2008 - 4:20 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 8 (IANS) Diesel dealers in Uttar Pradesh Saturday threatened to stop business if the state government did not withdraw an entry tax, imposed on them in September.The government imposed the entry tax ranging between Rs.1.81 and Rs.1.90 per litre (depending on the quality of the diesel) with effect from Sep 30.
However, the dealers say they cannot afford to pay the tax since it is way beyond their profit margin.
“Our profit on one litre of diesel is only 60 paise and if we pay the increased tax, we will be left with no other option but to stop business,” Uttar Pradesh Petroleum Association president B.N. Shukla said.
At present, there are nearly 4,000 diesel outlets in the state. Since the new taxes were imposed, the tax liability of every dealer has touched nearly Rs.350,000, Shukla said.
The association is holding a meeting of all its state members Saturday and a “concrete decision” would be announced later in the evening, he added.
“We have also made a number of representations to the government department concerned and all the three major oil marketing companies (Indian Oil Corp, Bharat Petroleum Corp, Hindustan Petroleum Corp), but have received no relief till date,” Shukla said.
- Uttar Pradesh diesel dealers withdraw sale-suspension threat - Nov 10, 2008
- Diesel sale to stop from Monday in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 09, 2008
- Pakistan reduces petroleum prices - Jul 01, 2011
- Petrol pump dealers' commission raised, prices go up - Jul 01, 2011
- Fuel prices revised countrywide - Jul 25, 2012
- Petrol costlier in India than in neighbours, US - Nov 29, 2011
- Haryana waives VAT on kerosene - Jun 26, 2011
- Petrol price cut by Rs.2 a litre (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Petrol prices to be hiked by 70 paise from midnight (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Petrol prices to be hiked by 70 paise from midnight (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Indian Oil Corporation's Q3 net profit up 52.2 percent - Feb 13, 2012
- Will analyse diesel price hike effect: Dikshit - Jul 04, 2011
- Cut tax to make diesel cheaper, say Delhi dealers - May 10, 2012
- May consider reduction of diesel subsidy : Reddy - Feb 15, 2012
- CITU calls 24-hour transport strike in West Bengal July 31 - Jul 26, 2012