Uttar Pradesh cops sacked after Dalit’s death go missingJune 13th, 2008 - 5:06 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 13 (IANS) Three policemen who were sacked for allegedly torturing a Dalit youth to death have been absconding after warrants were issued for their arrest in Kanpur district of Uttar Pradesh, police said Friday. Umakant, 18, a resident of Kamalpur village in the outskirts of Kanpur, about 90 km from here, was picked up by the policemen Wednesday for allegedly helping a girl elope with his relative. He was allegedly tortured at the Narwal police station, under whose jurisdiction the village falls, for over 24 hours.
Local residents allege that when Umakant’s condition deteriorated, he was left outside his house in an unconscious state early Thursday. He soon succumbed to his injuries.
The services of Sub Inspector S.K. Shukla, Head Constable G.H. Verma and Constable Khet Singh were terminated while Station Officer of Narwal Shyamlal was suspended after the incident. Warrants for their arrest were issued late Thursday but the men are at large.
“The sacked policemen have been charged with causing death due to negligence. They will soon be arrested,” Circle Officer Paramlal Verma told IANS.
According to the post mortem report, Umakant died due to a broken neck bone.
“However, the report also mentions that there were no injury marks on the body. Umakant was picked up after the girl’s parents lodged a written complaint with the Narwal police,” Superintendent of Police (Rural) Dilip Kumar told IANS.
He added that the situation in the village was tense and a large number of policemen had been deployed to maintain law and order. A magisterial inquiry has also been ordered.
- Three Rajasthan cops booked for 'custody death' - Feb 22, 2012
- Chhattisgarh Police face another charge of custodial death - Feb 20, 2012
- Kanpur cop dies after being shot inside police station (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Suspected custody death: Four cops suspended - Nov 04, 2011
- Mystery shrouds couple's death in police custody - Jun 08, 2012
- Six injured as villagers clash with police - Mar 05, 2012
- Murder case against six Uttar Pradesh cops - Jul 30, 2010
- Rs.5 lakh solatium for Tamil Nadu women raped by cops - Nov 29, 2011
- Four injured as villagers clash with police - Feb 20, 2012
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for custody death (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Five cops booked for murder - Mar 04, 2011
- Policeman kills man for Rs.50 - Sep 06, 2011
- Probe ordered into custody death in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 28, 2010
- Autopsy confirms Kashmir youth was tortured - Aug 04, 2011
- Youth hangs self at police station in UP; two suspended - May 01, 2012