Uttar Pradesh college teacher held for impersonating ministerSeptember 10th, 2008 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 10 (IANS) A college teacher who was posing as a minister and asking policemen to release some criminals was arrested here, the police said Wednesday.According to the police, Ravikant, a lecturer in a private engineering college in the Mohanlalganj locality of the Uttar Pradesh capital, was posing as Urban Development Minister Nakul Dubey, and had phoned two senior police officials seeking the release of some people in police custody.
“Ravikant called up the Cantonment police station inspector and said that he is Nakul Dubey, the urban development minister. He told the inspector to release some people arrested in connection with a criminal case,” Lucknow police chief Akhil Kumar told IANS, adding that Ravikant had also called him for the same purpose.
“I received the call on Aug 30 and immediately talked to the minister. However, he expressed surprise over the issue and clarified that he did not call any police official,” added Kumar.
Ravikant was arrested Tuesday night after the police traced the calls.
- From Delhi School of Economics to UP poll ground - Feb 06, 2012
- Mayawati statue vandalised in Lucknow, BSP stages protests (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Four arrested with cocaine worth Rs.1.5 crore - Nov 07, 2011
- Men in khaki leave UP government red-faced - Jul 14, 2012
- Man threatens Varun Gandhi on phone, held - Aug 24, 2010
- Nominations for fourth phase begin in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 25, 2012
- Nepali women held with Rs.20 lakh drugs - Sep 29, 2011
- One held for Ballia boat tragedy - Jun 18, 2010
- UP removes police officer for backing honour killing - May 11, 2012
- Mayawati orders probe into girl's death at police station (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- BSP stages protest rallies against petrol price hike - May 31, 2011
- CBI probe demanded into Bihar girl's suicide - Sep 06, 2012
- Bihar dismisses six BDOs for corruption - Feb 08, 2012
- Mukhtar Ansari's sharpshooter arrested - Nov 16, 2010
- Security guard of slain Madan Tamang's son found dead - Aug 25, 2010