Uttar Pradesh bus fire toll rises to 63December 10th, 2008 - 12:36 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Dec 10 (IANS) The toll in Tuesday’s bus accident in Firozabad district of Uttar Pradesh has risen to 63 with the recovery of more bodies of those who were burnt to death when the vehicle went up in flames, police said Wednesday.The accident occurred at around 5 p.m. Tuesday in Shikohabad area of Firozabad, about 50 km from here. The bus was going from Mathura to Sultanpur. The passengers were apparently returning after a pilgrimage and all hailed from Sultanpur.
“The death of 63 people, including women and children, has been confirmed,” Firozabad District Magistrate Amit Gupta told IANS on phone. Till late Tuesday, 40 bodies had been recovered from the bus.
“According to initial information, witnesses said that the bus caught fire while it was running and overturned. Thirty-three passengers managed to escape and have received minor injuries,” city police chief Navneet Kumar said.
Most of the bodies recovered from the debris were turned to ashes and it was difficult for the rescue team and cops to identify them.
“A large number of skeletal remains were found stuck to the seats of the bus and we have gathered almost all of them. The remains have been sent to the government hospital for post-mortem,” a police official said, requesting anonymity.
The bus driver escaped unhurt and has been held.
“The driver is being questioned about the cause of the accident. Witnesses noticed huge sparks from the rear side of the bus before it caught fire,” the police official said.
“The axle of the bus broke down, causing the sparks that reached the diesel tank due to which it caught fire after the bus went without stopping for about two kilometres,” he added.
Uttar Pradesh Transport Minister Ram Achal Rajbhar Tuesday evening announced a compensation of Rs.100,000 to the families of each of those killed in the accident and Rs.50,000 for the injured.
- 35 killed as bus catches fire in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Dec 09, 2008
- 40 killed as bus catches fire in Uttar Pradesh (Second Lead) - Dec 10, 2008
- Many killed in Uttar Pradesh bus fire -- hold it - VT - Dec 09, 2008
- 22 charred to death in Tamil Nadu bus accident (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- 22 killed in bus accident in Tamil Nadu - Jun 08, 2011
- Three shot dead on Uttar Pradesh highway - Jul 03, 2012
- Bus crash kills 21 people in central Mexico - Oct 18, 2010
- Bus accident kills 14, injures 45 in southwestern Uganda - Sep 19, 2012
- Four of family killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Feb 05, 2011
- Passenger buses collide in Taiwan tunnel, killing 2 - May 08, 2012
- Firozabad forms record 115-km human chain for polls - Feb 15, 2012
- Eight students injured in accident - Feb 19, 2011
- 37 people feared killed in Assam bus accident - May 31, 2011
- Women Kabaddi team's bus catches fire, two die - Nov 17, 2011
- 32 die in Pakistan road accident (Lead) - Jan 23, 2011