USS Ford to visit GalleOctober 10th, 2011 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Oct 10 (IANS) USS Ford, a frigate of the Oliver Hazard Perry Class of the US Navy, will call on Sri Lanka’s southern port of Galle Oct 11-14.
The visit is a routine port visit and is intended to provide the American sailors an opportunity for engagement with the Sri Lanka Navy and for cultural exchange.
This visit promotes peace and stability in the Western Pacific region, and demonstrates the US commitment to regional partners such as Sri Lanka, an American embassy statement said Monday.
“Sri Lanka has historically been a strong partner of the US in addressing common security challenges in the region including humanitarian assistance and disaster relief preparedness,” the statement said.
“This strong relationship between the US and Sri Lanka also helps advance many common interests including mutual security, prosperity and the promotion of freedom.”
The last US Navy ship to visit to Sri Lanka was the USS Pearl Harbor, a Harpers Ferry-class dock landing ship, to Trincomalee in July 2010.
- USS Russell to visit Maldives - Sep 27, 2011
- USS Decatur in Chennai on three-day visit - Mar 16, 2011
- Indian-American woman captains US warship to India - Mar 16, 2011
- US marks 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor attacks - Dec 08, 2011
- Indian Navy to focus on manpower, operational assets - Oct 14, 2011
- US Navy to shift 60 percent fleet to Pacific - Jun 13, 2012
- US, Vietnam to hold joint navy activities - Jul 08, 2011
- Indian, US navies begin annual exercise in Arabian Sea - Apr 23, 2010
- Kerala boat hit-and-run: Cargo ship sailor arrested - Mar 08, 2012
- U.S. sailor goes missing in the Gulf of Oman - Jan 19, 2011
- US sends three warships to Libya - Mar 23, 2011
- Russia, US to hold anti-terror drill - Oct 04, 2011
- UAE probes Indian fisherman's killing by US ship (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Indian warships to sail through South China Sea - May 04, 2012
- Pearl Harbor Attack's 68th Anniversary today - Dec 07, 2009
Tags: american embassy, american sailors, colombo, common interests, common security, cultural exchange, disaster relief, ferry class, frigate, harpers ferry, humanitarian assistance, mutual security, oct 11, oliver hazard perry, peace and stability, pearl harbor, regional partners, security challenges, sri lanka navy, us navy ship