USAID provided 449 million dollars as assistance to Pakistan between 2002 and 2006November 14th, 2007 - 1:48 am ICT by admin
According to the report USAID provided a total of 449 million dollars to Pakistan from 2002 to 2006 to address the pressing needs of education, health, economic growth and good governance. It states that Pakistan’s health indicators are among the worst in the world with 35 mothers dying for every 100,000 children born and 72 infants dying for every 1,000 live births. It says USAID is helping Pakistan in this regard by upgrading 40 hospitals and training 3,000 health staff.
The report stresses that Pakistan’s future depends on its ability to create jobs and promote investment. It states that USAID is teaching arid agriculture practices in Balochistan and helping small- and medium-sized industries like dairy and furniture to create more jobs.
The agency is also helping strengthen the national and provincial parliaments with technical assistance and training. The agency has also established a recovery and reconstruction programme in earthquake-affected areas to quicken the recovery process.
According to the report, the US government is also providing Emergency Economic Assistance to Pakistan’s government. In 2002, US President Bush pledged that the US government would provide Pakistan with one billion dollar in Economic Support Funds (ESF) over the course of 2002-2004.
In 2004, the US pledged to provide another 1.5 billion dollars in EEA funds at 200 million dollars per year from 2005-2009. USAID has also notified Congress of its intention to obligate 200 million dollars in ESF in 2007. (ANI)
- USAID has not put any funding for Pakistan's HEC on hold: US Embassy - Apr 07, 2011
- US gives $40 mn for Bangladesh health sector - Apr 09, 2012
- Roemer to visit USAID projects in Delhi - Apr 25, 2011
- US envoy Roemer visits education, health programs in Delhi's Sanjay Gandhi settlement - Apr 26, 2011
- USAID, FICCI ink deal to support innovation - Dec 20, 2011
- US agency trains Pakistani women in IT skills - Sep 27, 2011
- New US programme seeks to execute half of Kerry-Lugar aid to Pak by 2012 - Oct 28, 2010
- Pak shock over "Anti-Fraud Hotline" project to monitor entire Kerry-Lugar aid - Sep 23, 2010
- US to stick with 'Transparency' aid monitoring mechanism despite Pak govt's objections - Oct 30, 2010
- Pak, US asks media for explanation on 'Cash to Pakistan missing' report - Sep 28, 2010
- US ambassador visits USAID projects in Delhi - Apr 26, 2011
- US, India join hands to promote innovation - Jul 10, 2012
- US to give $35 mn to Cambodia - Oct 25, 2011
- US pledges extra $25 mn for Pakistan flood victims - Aug 06, 2010
- Robust US aid effort on Pak floods could thwart Taliban influence: Experts - Aug 10, 2010