US woman’s body found 30 feet up a tree in AustraliaFebruary 14th, 2012 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 14 (IANS) A 22-year-old American woman’s decomposed body has been found 30 feet from the ground on a tree in Australia, a media report here said Tuesday.
The body was found by a Sydney council worker Jan 12 after residents in Randwick area of eastern Sydney reported foul smell coming from the large oak tree, Sky News reported.
US citizen Melissa Joy Dietzel has finally been identified after a lengthy investigation.
Police believe her body was hidden amongst branches and leaves of the tree for up to a fortnight. The height of the tree was not mentioned.
Police, however, said the death was not being treated as “suspicious”, rather as a tragic suicide.
The woman had been on a working visa and was employed as a live-in nanny. She had recently been let go by the family she worked for in Sydney, local media reports said.
Dietzel from Redlands, California, travelled to Sydney last year.
She had reportedly been missing for a month.
Her body had decomposed and forensics officers were unable to take fingerprints. Police had to use dental records, missing persons’ information and clothes labels to identify Dietzel.
- Decomposed body of woman found - Dec 10, 2011
- Wake County, NC woman arrested after police find missing boyfriend in their freezer - Oct 09, 2010
- Decomposed Body Of Missing California Girl Found - Jul 22, 2010
- Murdered Nepali woman's body found in tank - Jul 26, 2011
- Elderly parents, two sons found dead in Pune - Mar 24, 2011
- Noida woman jumps to death after fight with lover - Aug 22, 2012
- Delhi housewife found murdered, husband missing - Apr 23, 2012
- Couple, son found murdered in Bengal eatery - Jun 19, 2011
- Woman's body found in bag in Mumbai - Apr 25, 2011
- Man hid aunt's corpse to collect her pension - Jun 16, 2012
- Nigerian arrested for murdering girlfriend - May 31, 2011
- Body suspected to be Michelle Le found by search party - Sep 19, 2011
- Pinki files theft complaint against live-in partner - Jul 15, 2012
- Couple's corpses found in canal (Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Body in bag: Woman identified as Myanmar national - May 23, 2011
Tags: american woman, decomposed body, dental records, dietzel, eastern sydney, feb 14, fingerprints, forensics, fortnight, foul smell, lengthy investigation, local media, london feb, missing persons, oak tree, redlands california, sky news, sydney council, tragic suicide, working visa