US wants ties with Pakistan: EnvoyFebruary 26th, 2012 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 26 (IANS) A US diplomat reiterated Sunday that Washington wants bilateral ties with Islamabad.
Charge d’Affaires Richard Hoagland told Geo News in an interview the US was waiting for the Pakistani parliament’s decision regarding the relationship between the two countries.
After a NATO air strike on two Pakistan Army check-posts killed 24 soldiers, Islamabad said it needed to rethink its relationship with Washington.
Islamabad barred the passage of NATO supplies to Afghanistan through Pakistani territory and boycotted an international conference on the future of Afghanistan. It also ordered the US to vacate the key Shamsi air base in Balochistan.
Hoagland Sunday said Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani had told him that a joint session of parliament would be convened after the senate elections.
The US official, however, refused to comment on the NATO attack.
In January, US ambassador to Pakistan Cameron Munter has said the NATO air strike was not deliberate and it will be ensured that such incidents do not recur.
Munter said the attack was an “accident” and the US “regrets” it.
- NATO attack on check-posts not deliberate: US envoy - Jan 31, 2012
- Pakistan wants apology for NATO air strike: Envoy - May 22, 2012
- Antipathy to the US has become visceral: Pakistani daily - Feb 16, 2012
- NATO attack inquiry to end early: US tells Pakistan - Dec 10, 2011
- Let's go beyond the anger: US envoy to Pakistan - Dec 13, 2011
- Pakistan shoots down NATO airstrike probe report (Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Pakistan won't help US attack Iran: Zardari - Feb 17, 2012
- No repetition of attack on Pakistani soldiers: US - Dec 06, 2011
- Pakistani leaders harp on US apology for NATO air strike (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- US resumes drone attacks in Pakistan - Jan 12, 2012
- Pakistan parliament to discuss US ties March 20 - Mar 18, 2012
- Funeral held for Pakistani soldiers - Nov 27, 2011
- Resume NATO supplies, Karzai tells Pakistan - Feb 17, 2012
- US starts vacating Pakistani airbase - Dec 04, 2011
- Pakistan-US ties set to top envoys' meeting in Pakistan - Dec 12, 2011
Tags: ambassador, balochistan, bilateral ties, cameron munter, check posts, diplomat, geo news, gilani, joint session, nato air, nato attack, pakistan army, pakistani prime minister, pakistani territory, parliament, raza, richard hoagland, senate elections, shamsi, yousuf