US wants good relations with ‘big powers’ like India: RiceJune 20th, 2008 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
New York, June 20 (IANS) The US wants “workable and constructive” relations with India and other “big powers” to be able to find common cause with them to resolve international issues, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has said. Counting Russia and China among big powers besides India, Rice said at the Council of Foreign Relations here Thursday: “It goes without saying that it is not feasible to solve many problems through diplomacy if you cannot find at least common interests and common cause” with these countries.
Rice admitted that miscalculations were made while drawing up a post-Saddam Hussein strategy for Iraq and spoke of the new initiative to build the Civilian Response Corps, which would have specialists from multiple disciplines to help failed states come out of conflict in all major areas.
“We have learnt this is an important function and are trying to adapt our institutions to do it,” she added.
Planning post-conflict operations in Iraq, the US thought it would be able to remove Saddam Hussein and the civilian institutions and services would be in palace to run the country. Instead everything, including the ministries, collapsed, Rice said.
- I don't regret Iraq war, says Condoleezza Rice - Jan 21, 2011
- Rumsfeld unapologetic about US going to war against Iraq - Feb 03, 2011
- Akbar Khan to play Saddam Hussein, says it's challenging (With Images) - Apr 28, 2011
- Blair expresses regret for Iraq war victims - Jan 22, 2011
- Iraq Sentences Former Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz To Death - Oct 27, 2010
- Iraq will be left to wolves if US withdraws: Saddam's aide - Aug 06, 2010
- Saddam Hussein's secretary executed - Jun 07, 2012
- Reform of security sector vital to create peace: India - Oct 13, 2011
- Malaysian mock tribunal finds Bush, Blair guilty of 'crimes against peace' - Nov 24, 2011
- 'Defiant' Blair insists Saddam Hussein posed WMD threat to world at Iraq war inquiry - Jan 30, 2010
- Russia-Saudi Arabia: A growing strain - Sep 06, 2012
- Last US troops out of Iraq (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Bush justifies Iraq invasion as removal of threat even though no WMD's were found - Nov 13, 2010
- Man jailed in Britain for hate rant over Iraq war - Jul 30, 2011
- IIM-Lucknow to help train SC, ST candidates - Sep 07, 2012