US to sell Harpoon missiles to TaiwanAugust 28th, 2008 - 6:19 am ICT by IANS
Taipei, Aug 28 (DPA) Taiwan confirmed Wednesday that the US has decided to sell 60 Harpoon Air Launch anti-ship missiles to Taipei, in a move ending a de facto freeze on US arms sales to the island.Defence ministry Spokeswoman Chih Yu-lan told the Central News Agency (CNA) that Taipei made the request to buy the missiles, worth $90 million, in 2007, and delivery was scheduled for 2009.
“This arms sale is not among the eight items we requested this year. So why its delivery has been moved forward, we have yet to find out,” CNA quoted her as saying.
The US had halted arms sales to Taiwan in late 2007, in the light of the island’s improving relationship with Beijing. A pro-China president, Ma Ying-jeou, was elected in May 2008.
In August 2008, Ma said Taiwan would push ahead with US arms deals in tandem with the pursuit of better relations with China.
In 2004, US President George W. Bush approved an arms sales package to Taiwan which included 12 P-3C Orion maritime patrol and anti-submarine aircraft, six batteries of PAT-3 anti-missile systems and eight diesel-electric submarines.
Also on Taipei’s weapons wish list are 66 US F-16C/D fighter jets worth at least $3.3 billion, in a deal currently before the US Congress for approval.
Following the visit of Taiwan parliament’s speaker, Wang Jin-pying, to the US in early August to push the Harpoon sale, Taiwan officials said Bush would approve the deal after the Beijing Olympics.
- Taiwan urges US to speed up arms sales - Aug 11, 2008
- US plans weapons sales to Taiwan - Jan 30, 2010
- Taiwan seeks F-16s to boost defence - Aug 19, 2010
- Russia to lay down diesel submarine - Aug 17, 2012
- US weapons deal 'poisoned' military ties: China - Oct 07, 2008
- Russian Navy to receive 10 diesel submarines by 2020 - Nov 22, 2011
- Taiwan bets on trade pact to avert China invasion - May 19, 2010
- China, US agree to reduce "miscalculation" risk between two armed forces - Jan 11, 2011
- Obama's meeting with Dalai Lama to weaken US-China ties: Experts - Jan 03, 2010
- Iran developing n-powered submarine - Jun 13, 2012
- US arms package to Taiwan irks China - Sep 20, 2011
- US clears attack chopper, sophisticated radar, missiles for India - Jan 04, 2011
- Russia launches submarine for Vietnam - Aug 28, 2012
- Boeing plans $300 mn investment in Indian defence industry - Apr 13, 2011
- Taiwan protests China's bid to block trade pacts - Jun 02, 2010