US to review aid to Mali after coupMarch 23rd, 2012 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 23 (IANS) The US State Department said Thursday that it will review its annual aid to Mali after soldiers staged a coup in the African country.
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that Washington provides “significant security and economic and financial support” to Mali valued at between $137 million and $140 million annually.
Nuland’s remarks came after Malian rebel soldiers stated that they had removed President Amadou Toumani Toure from power. They said that an inclusive government of national unity would be formed to organize fresh polls as soon as possible, reported Xinhua.
Condemning the “military seizure of power”, Nuland said that Washington is supporting and working with the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and African Union (AU) to “reverse ” the situation “so we can get back to good, solid democratic governance in Mali”.
“Our hope is that ECOWAS can get in there quickly, can negotiate a resolution of this so we can get the president (Toure) back in the capital and leading the country,” she added.
- US suspends aid to Mali - Mar 27, 2012
- Mali president flees after coup - Mar 23, 2012
- UN chief criticises mutiny in Mali - Mar 23, 2012
- India expresses concern over military coup in Mali - Mar 23, 2012
- African Union suspends Mali from its membership - Mar 23, 2012
- 12 killed in Mali mutiny - Mar 24, 2012
- France rules out military intervention in Mali - Apr 03, 2012
- Mali situation under close watch: UNHCR - Mar 23, 2012
- Moscow hails Mali political settlement - Apr 10, 2012
- Child soldiers continue to be recruited in Mali: UNICEF - Jul 07, 2012
- Rebel soldiers seize presidential palace in Mali - Mar 22, 2012
- Mali's junta announces constitution's restoration - Apr 02, 2012
- Restore civilian rule in Mali by July 31: AU - Jul 15, 2012
- India to roll out red carpet for Mali president - Jan 09, 2012
- Mali president finally resigns after coup - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,