US to fund Mughal monument restorationMay 4th, 2011 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 4 (IANS) In an initiative to support preservation of India’s rich heritage, outgoing US Ambassador to India Timothy J. Roemer Wednesday inaugurated the final stage of renovation work of a Mughal monument here and also advanced a grant of $50,000 towards the project.
Restoration work at the 16th century monument Sunderwala Burj, in the vicinity of Unesco World Heritage site Humayun’s Tomb, is being undertaken by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture (AKTC) in collaboration with the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) and the Central Public Works Department (CPWD).
“This is a beautiful 16th century Moughal era monument…and also one of our goals is to help the local residents living in the ‘basti’ (slum). So, with the $50,000 contribution from my fund, we hope to achieve both objectives,” Roemer told reporters after laying a stone to mark the beginning of the final stage of renovation.
A total grant of $50,437 (Rs.22 lakh) was given to the Aga Khan Trust from the US Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Preservation.
According to the Aga Khan Foundation, the site is part of the Humayun’s Tomb World Heritage Site buffer zone and highlights the contribution of Mughal architecture to Indian culture and heritage.
“The fund is for preserving, restoring and documenting culturally significant sites and traditions. This fund has given approximately $460,000 to preserve more than 10 cultural heritage sites across India,” Counselor for Culture at the US embassy Michael Macy told IANS.
“It’s one of the key programmes of the US to conserve cultures across the world,” he said.
- Aga Khan Trust helps restore 16th century tomb - Jul 19, 2011
- US aid to restore 16th century mausoleum (With Image) - Aug 12, 2011
- Obamas' will head to Delhi's highly secured Humayun's Tomb directly from airport - Nov 07, 2010
- Introducing children to Humayun's tomb - Nov 14, 2011
- Germany grants Rs.96 lakh for heritage site restoration - Apr 13, 2011
- Obama to visit Humayun's Tomb, described as 'cultural marvel' (Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Humayun's Tomb gets 16th century makeover (With Images) - Jun 16, 2011
- Germany grants Rs.96 lakh for heritage site restoration (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Obamas visit Humayun Tomb in New Delhi - Nov 07, 2010
- 'More companies helping preserve India's monuments' - Apr 24, 2012
- Obama to visit Humayun's Tomb - Oct 28, 2010
- US president, wife visit Humayun's tomb - Nov 07, 2010
- Obamas visit Humayun Tomb (U.S. President visit: latest) - Nov 07, 2010
- Showcasing the ancient in modern Delhi for Games visitors - Aug 26, 2010
- Obama visits Humayun's tomb, finds it spectacular (Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: 16th century, aga khan foundation, aga khan trust, archaeological survey of india, buffer zone, cpwd, cultural heritage, humayun, indian culture, lakh, macy, monument restoration, project restoration, renovation work, restoration work, rich heritage, slum, unesco world heritage, unesco world heritage site, world heritage site