US suspends Pakistan consular services after Marriott blastSeptember 26th, 2008 - 8:07 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 26 (Xinhua) The US has suspended visa services at its consular offices in Pakistan following a massive suicide bomb attack on the Marriott Hotel in the Pakistani capital Islamabad, the State Department said.”Consular services have been temporarily suspended as of today,” State Department deputy spokesman Robert Wood told reporters Thursday.
“We are very concerned about the security situation. We had the attack on the Marriott Hotel about a week ago, and it’s of great concern,” he said.
Despite the suspension of consular services in Pakistan, the United States will continue its emergency services for American citizens in the country, the spokesman said.
The US has its consular offices in Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar and Islamabad.
On Sep 20, a massive truck bombing occurred outside the Marriott Hotel in Islamabad, killing at least 53 people, including two Americans and Czech ambassador Ivo Zdarek. More than 250 people were also wounded in the attack.
- British Airways may resume flights to Pakistan - Apr 15, 2011
- US warns Americans against retaliatory violence - May 02, 2011
- Four die in Peshawar suicide bombing (Fourth Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- EU condemns Pakistan suicide attack - Sep 21, 2008
- Body of Czech envoy found in bombed Pakistani hotel - Sep 21, 2008
- Two die as suicide bomber targets US vehicle in Peshawar (Evening Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Zardari wants to win countrymens hearts and minds over US-led war-on-terror - Sep 25, 2008
- No Americans killed in Peshawar blast: US - Sep 03, 2012
- US embassy suspends visa services in Pakistan - Sep 25, 2008
- Is US planning a Guantanamo Bay kind of prison in Pak? - Sep 08, 2009
- US embassy suspends consular services in Islamabad - Apr 10, 2009
- Pakistan restricts phone service for safe Eid - Aug 20, 2012
- US issues travel warning over anti-American violence in terror-threat countries - May 02, 2011
- US embassy in Islamabad temporarily suspends consular services - Oct 27, 2009
- Britain temporarily closes embassy in Mali - Apr 07, 2012