US survey ship to dock in Goa MondayApril 11th, 2008 - 8:03 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, April 11 (IANS) An oceanographic survey ship of the US Navy will dock in Goa’s Marmagoa port Monday to participate in the eighth annual meeting of the North Indian Ocean Hydrographic Commission (NIOHC). The ship, ‘USNS Bruce C. Heezen’, will take part in the meet scheduled for April 14-18, an official statement said.
It is one of the seven oceanographic survey ships belonging to the US Navy.
Launched in April 1999, the high-tech, non-combatant ship carries on the work of probing the secrets of the oceans and seas, attempting to understand them, and collecting oceanographic and hydrographic data for the US Navy.
The ship’s typical mission includes measuring the depth of the ocean, the composition of the sea floor, the temperature and salinity of the seawater, and the strength of the ocean currents.
The participation of the ship contributes to the NIOHC goals of greater navigational safety services for shipping and for protection of marine environments.
- US warships to visit Vietnam - Apr 18, 2012
- US Navy hospital ship heads to Cambodia - Jul 26, 2012
- Navy's diving salvage exercise begins near Port Blair - Jan 05, 2011
- India calls for rational demarcation of pirate-infested waters - Apr 22, 2012
- James Cameron dives to deepest point of ocean - Mar 26, 2012
- Indian Navy deploys western fleet ships on a goodwill visit - Aug 20, 2010
- US sends three warships to Libya - Mar 23, 2011
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- Get compensation to families of Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Get compensation to families of Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jul 17, 2012
- US condoles death of Indian fisherman in shooting - Jul 17, 2012
- India, US navy exercise to begin Wednesday - Jan 04, 2011
- UAE probes Indian fisherman's killing by US ship (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensorbots to track ocean health round-the-clock - Dec 21, 2011
- India to give three aircraft to Seychelles (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2010