US stocks tumble on falling energy stocks, jobless claimsSeptember 5th, 2008 - 9:00 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 5 (DPA) US stocks posted sharp losses Thursday as oil prices continued to fall and weekly jobless numbers sparked wider concerns about the state of employment in a sluggish US economy.The job fears came ahead of monthly unemployment figures due out Friday, and dragged down shares in Caterpillar Inc and United Technologies Corp among others. Analysts surveyed by Bloomberg News predicted a further 75,000 jobs were lost in August.
Boeing Co fell after its largest union voted to reject a new contract offer. The plane manufacturer now has two days to renegotiate or face a strike.
Exxon Mobil Corp led energy shares lower, as crude oil for October delivery fell 45 cents to $107.44 dollars per barrel - down nearly 30 percent from a record high of $147.27 earlier this summer.
The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 344.65 points, or 2.99 percent, to 11,188.23. The broad-based Standard & Poor’s 500 Index tumbled 38.15 points, or 2.99 percent, to 1,236.83. The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index slid 74.69 points, or 3.2 percent, to 2,259.04.
The US currency edged higher to 70.10 euro cents from 68.99 euro cents Wednesday. The dollar fell against the Japanese currency to 106.48 yen from 108.28 Wednesday.
Gold fell to 803.20 dollars from 808.20 dollars per fine ounce Wednesday.
- Wall Street edges higher ahead of new season (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Rupee weighs on market, Sensex closes 156 points lower (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Wall Street rises on China hope - Sep 13, 2011
- Wall Street up on European hopes, bank rally - Oct 19, 2011
- India's forex reserves soar to $319.17 bn high - Sep 02, 2011
- India's forex reserves rise by $266 million - Sep 24, 2011
- Australia's consumer confidence falls - Aug 15, 2012
- US stocks fall sharply amid fears of more job losses - Feb 05, 2010
- Sensex slumps 405 points on weakening rupee (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Wall Street rises despite Euro zone concerns - Sep 14, 2011
- Rupee climbs to 3-month high of 48.68 against dollar - Feb 03, 2012
- US stocks surge on first trading day of 2010 - Jan 05, 2010
- Sensex slides 320 points to close below 17,000 (Roundup) - May 04, 2012
- US stocks drop sharply on slumping home sales - Oct 29, 2009
- Wall Street ends mixed despite EU optimism - Nov 30, 2011