US stocks surge on talk of stimulusOctober 21st, 2008 - 6:45 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 21 (DPA) Wall Street stocks rose sharply Monday amid indications that a second fiscal stimulus package could be on the way to boost the faltering US economy.Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said in congressional testimony that another stimulus package “seems appropriate”. White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said that President George W. Bush was keeping an “open mind” to the idea.
An economic stimulus package passed in February spent $152 billion, most of it through tax credit checks sent to individual taxpayers.
The private New York-based Conference Board, meanwhile, said its index of leading economic indicators rose 0.3 percent in September, the first increase in five months.
The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped 413.21 points, or 4.67 percent to 9,265.43. The broader Standard & Poor’s 500 surged 44.85 points, or 4.77 percent, to 985.4. The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index climbed 58.74 points, or 3.43 percent, to 1,770.03.
Last week, the Dow industrials climbed 4.8 percent, its largest weekly gain since 2003, and the S&P 500 rose 4.6 percent, the most since February. Both major indices are still down more than 30 percent this year amid ongoing fears that the US is facing a recession.
On currency markets, the dollar edged up against the Japanese currency to 101.96 yen from 101.69 yen Friday. The dollar rose against the euro to 74.94 euro cents from 74.57 euro cents.
- US stocks mixed on hopes of economic recovery, low inflation - Mar 19, 2010
- Stocks fall as depressing earnings outweigh new Fed moves - Oct 22, 2008
- US stocks rise on improved consumer confidence - Mar 31, 2010
- US stocks close lower to end roller-coaster week - Oct 18, 2008
- US stocks decline, dollar soars - Mar 25, 2010
- Economic optimism spurs US stocks - Apr 21, 2010
- US stocks climb on oil, gold hikes - Sep 09, 2009
- US stocks continue rally on economic recovery hopes - Jul 17, 2009
- US stocks gain on confidence over Bernanke confirmation - Jan 26, 2010
- US stocks fall on stalled European economy - Feb 13, 2010
- US stocks gain on financial firms - Mar 11, 2010
- Japan's exports fall in November - Dec 21, 2011
- US stocks pushed higher by oil, metal gains - Nov 18, 2009
- Wall Street stocks close first week of 2010 higher - Jan 09, 2010
- US stocks continue rally on strong manufacturing data - Jul 01, 2011