US stocks rise as oil price rise helps energy firmsOctober 24th, 2008 - 5:30 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 24 (DPA) Most US stock indices closed higher Thursday, led by an increase in oil prices that helped energy firms, and overshadowing more depressing news from the US housing market.The rally was part of another volatile trading day and followed significant stock losses earlier this week, fuelled by ongoing fears of a global recession. The Standard & Poor’s 500 index hit its lowest level in more than five years Wednesday but rebounded more than 1 percent on Thursday.
Energy companies led stocks rise as crude oil climbed 1.6 percent to $67.84 per barrel in New York. Shares of Exxon Mobil Corp and Chevron Corp both gained more than 8 percent.
The stock rise bucked the trend in both Asia and Europe, which posted losses on disappointing company earnings.
Wall Street had started the day sharply lower, after data firm RealtyTrac reported home foreclosures climbed to 765,558 in the third quarter, up 3 percent from the second quarter and 71 percent from the year earlier period. Financial firms and construction companies fell on the day.
The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 172.04 points, or 2.02 percent, to 8,691.25. The broader based S&P 500 was up 11.33 points, or 1.26 percent, to 908.11. But the high-tech Nasdaq Composite Index lost 11.84 points, or 0.73 percent, to 1,603.91.
On currency markets, the dollar fell against the euro to 77.37 euro cents from 77.77 euro cents Wednesday - its highest level in two years. The US currency also dropped against the Japanese yen to 97.26 yen from 97.87 yen on Wednesday.
- US stocks post fourth-straight rally - Mar 14, 2009
- US stocks in sell-off as retail sales fall - May 14, 2009
- US stocks plummet as quarterly earnings reports filed (Lead) - Oct 23, 2008
- US stocks fall sharply on ongoing recession fears - Oct 25, 2008
- US stocks post gains on back of financials - Aug 14, 2009
- US stocks fall sharply amid fears of more job losses - Feb 05, 2010
- US stocks gain on confidence over Bernanke confirmation - Jan 26, 2010
- US stocks mixed on hopes of economic recovery, low inflation - Mar 19, 2010
- US stocks fall on fresh jobs fears - Apr 01, 2010
- US stocks drop on disappointing earnings - Feb 04, 2010
- US stocks improve for fifth straight day - Sep 11, 2009
- US stocks fall over Obama's bank crackdown - Jan 23, 2010
- US stocks surge as economy returns to growth - Oct 30, 2009
- US stocks surge on first trading day of 2010 - Jan 05, 2010
- US stocks posts biggest one-day loss of 2010 - Jan 16, 2010