US stocks edge higher on energy share jumpAugust 22nd, 2008 - 11:14 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 22 (DPA) US stocks rose slightly Thursday on the back of energy company gains, as financial shares continued their steady fall on the week.Chevron Corp and Exxon Mobil Corp led the rise after crude oil prices for October delivery surged 4.9 percent to $121.23 per barrel in New York trading.
A Citigroup Inc forecast of further mortgage-related writedowns for banks weighed on financial stocks. Shares in lending giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had plunged more than 50 percent in the first three days of the week amid ongoing concerns that they may require a government bailout, but recovered slightly Thursday.
The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average edged up 12.78 points, or 0.1 percent, to 11,430.21. The broad-based Standard & Poor’s 500 Index rose 3.18 points, or 0.3 percent, to 1,277.72. The technology- heavy Nasdaq Composite Index was down 8.7 points, or 0.4 percent, to to 2,380.38.
The US currency fell to 67.11 euro cents from 68.82 euro cents Wednesday and to 108.49 Japanese yen from 109.82 yen.
Gold closed at $839 per fine ounce from $816.30 Wednesday.
- US stocks rise on energy, overcoming Fannie-Freddie slump - Aug 21, 2008
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- US stocks rise - Mar 10, 2012
- Sensex ends 169 points lower on poor IIP numbers - Nov 11, 2011
- Sensex rises, capital goods, metal and IT stocks buying picks up - May 15, 2012
- Sensex up for the third day, rises 38 points - Aug 01, 2012
- Sensex closes 207 points up, banking, realty, auto stocks rally (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- Sensex crosses 18,000 points on positive European cues (Roundup) - Sep 12, 2012
- Sensex closes a tad high; metal, capital goods stocks up (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Sensex up 131.47 points, IT stocks gain (Roundup) - Apr 30, 2012
- Sensex falls 59 points as bearish mood prevails (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Sensex plunges over 200 points on inflation data (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- US stocks flat as Europe debt fears linger (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Sensex falls for third straight week on negative cues (Weekly Market Review) - May 12, 2012
- Sensex surges 284 points on firm cues from global markets - Jul 27, 2012