US slaps sanctions on Syria, IranApril 24th, 2012 - 2:59 am ICT by IANS
Washington, April 24 (IANS) The US Monday unveiled new sanctions against Iran and Syria for using “technologies to monitor and target citizens for violence”.
“I’ve signed an executive order that authorizes new sanctions against the Syrian government and Iran and those that abet them for using technologies to monitor and track and target citizens for violence,” US president Barack Obama said.
“These technologies should be in place to empower citizens, not to repress them,” Obama said during a speech at the US Holocaust Memorial Museum.
The sanctions targeted the Syrian General Intelligence Directorate, Syrian mobile phone company Syriatel, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, the Iranian intelligence and security ministry and the Iranian internet company Datak Telecom, among others.
The order also bans director of Syrian intelligence directorate Ali Mamluk’s entry into the US, Xinhua quoted a White House statement as saying.
- US imposes sanctions against Syria's intelligence service, officials - Apr 30, 2011
- US imposes sanctions on Syrian president - May 19, 2011
- Car bomb rocks Damascus suburb, hits peace deal - Apr 25, 2012
- U.S. government sanctions three Syrian companies - Aug 10, 2011
- US sanctions meant to deny Assad funds for violence - Aug 11, 2011
- Iran increasing lethal aid to Syria: US daily - Mar 05, 2012
- US slaps sanctions against eight Iranians for human rights violations - Sep 30, 2010
- US imposes new sanctions on Iran - Feb 17, 2012
- US, Britain and Saudi Arabia call for immediate end to Syrian crackdown - Aug 14, 2011
- US imposes sanctions over 50 Iranian entities - Jul 13, 2012
- Iran rejects foreign intervention in Syria - Aug 08, 2012
- Obama condemns Syrian regime's "outrageous use" of violence - Apr 23, 2011
- US slaps sanctions on Syria's broadcasting group - Mar 06, 2012
- India, US discuss Syria, Iran, UN reforms - Aug 22, 2012
- US slaps sanctions on Syrian defence minister - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: ali, april 24, barack obama, executive order, holocaust, holocaust memorial, holocaust memorial museum, intelligence directorate, internet company, iranian intelligence, iranian internet, islamic revolutionary guard corps, mamluk, mobile phone company, sanctions against iran, sanctions on syria, syrian government, us holocaust memorial museum, white house, xinhua