US says it is trying to force Assad to step downAugust 1st, 2012 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US is continuing its efforts to make Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad resign, according to US State Department spokesperson Patrick Ventrell.
“The situation is grave, and we’re witnessing the regime’s continued assault on its own people,” said Ventrell during a daily press briefing Tuesday.
“We are continuing and accelerating all the efforts we have had in place to get Assad to step aside as soon as possible.”
The US is not only, of course, continuing to work with like-minded nations on sanctions, he said, “we’re working to provide our support to the opposition, we’re working to provide millions of dollars of humanitarian support to help Syrians both inside Syria and those who have fled to the outside”.
Meanwhile, the Syrian army continued its crackdown on opposition forces in Aleppo, the country’s industrial and financial centre, Syria’s state TV reported Tuesday.
Aleppo, a city of 2.5 million people, has remained the hotspot of Syria’s civil conflict since last week, when pro-government forces launched a massive assault on the city in a colossal push to regain control of key territories across the country.
Russia and China have three times vetoed western draft resolutions on Syria, fearing the repetition of “the Libyan scenario” in Syria.
- Clashes between Syrian army, opposition continue in Aleppo - Aug 01, 2012
- Syrian forces storm rebel-held Aleppo - Aug 14, 2012
- US gives Syrian opposition $25 mn in non-lethal aid - Aug 02, 2012
- Obama warns Syria against using chemical weapons - Jul 24, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Still time to avoid civil war in Syria, says Hollande - Jul 14, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia's stance on Syria frustrating: Clinton - Mar 01, 2012
- Syria dismisses Obama threat as election ploy - Aug 21, 2012
- No Russian asylum for Syrian president: Minister - Mar 21, 2012
- Czech Republic buys armoured car for ambassador in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- 17 killed in Syrian car bombing - Sep 10, 2012
- Russia has tools to pressure Syrian president: Panetta - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, civil conflict, country russia, crackdown, daily press briefing, draft resolutions, government forces, hotspot, humanitarian support, massive assault, opposition forces, president bashar, repetition, ria novosti, s industrial, spokesperson, state tv, syrian army, syrian president bashar al, syrians