US playing blame game over Annan resignation: IranAugust 3rd, 2012 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 3 (IANS) Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi Friday criticised the US for playing the blame game over the resignation of UN and Arab League special envoy to Syria Kofi Annan, Press TV reported.
“The US is playing blame game (over Annan’s resignation), because (it was) the Western countries and certain regional states that sabotaged Annan’s plan,” Salehi was quoted as telling the IRNA news agency, after Washington blamed the envoy’s resignation on Russia and China.
Annan announced his resignation in Geneva Thursday, and said he would stay as special envoy only till the end of this month.
“Annan’s six-point plan was acceptable to Syria and key regional players, but the other side did not allow Annan to successfully implement his plan,” he said.
Salehi further criticised “the West and certain regional countries” for trying to sabotage Annan’s plan, saying “they seek to overthrow the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and replace it with an unspecified government”.
The Syrian conflict which began in March 2011 has already claimed up to 20,000 lives, according to Syrian activists.
- 'Annan to visit Iran for Syria talks' - Apr 05, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Peace plan not implemented in Syria: Annan - Jun 08, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Kofi Annan quits as UN-Arab League envoy - Aug 03, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence - Jul 11, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil conflict: Lavrov - Jun 10, 2012
- Syrian president ready for honest effort to solve crisis - Mar 11, 2012
- India welcomes Syria ceasefire, wishes Annan success - Apr 13, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Syrian ceasefire first Step of Annan's plan: US - Apr 13, 2012
- Annan's peace plan still alive :Iran - Aug 10, 2012
- No arms to Syria opposition: France - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: activists, ali akbar, arab league, bashar al assad, blame game, conflict, geneva, iran tehran, iranian foreign minister, irna news agency, kofi annan, president bashar, regional countries, regional players, regional states, resignation, salehi, syria, syrian president bashar al, western countries