US Open: Serena to meet Stosur in finalSeptember 11th, 2011 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 11 (IANS) Serena Williams eliminated top seed Caroline Wozniacki 6-2, 6-4 in the semifinals of the US Open tennis here Saturday night to set up the final showdown against Samantha Stosur.
Williams, out of the sport for almost a year due to a series of injuries, reached her fifth US Open final.
The 28th-seed American, who is aiming for her 14th major title, has reached the final without dropping a set.
The ninth seed Stosur advanced to her first US Open final with remarkably little notice, considering she has already played the longest tiebreaker in women’s major tournament history and won the longest women’s match time-wise in tournament’s history.
Stosur, 27, beat 92nd-ranked Angelique Kerber of Germany, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 in the first semifinal.
When Williams, 29, was leading 6-2, 1-0, she had whammed and bammed her way to 20 outright winners to none by the 21-year-old Wozniacki, whose signature style is to run down every shot and send it back.
By the end, Williams had 34 winners to only five for Wozniacki, for which made up for the American’s 34 unforced errors to 12 from the Dane.
“I want to play on 911, so I am eager to reach the final,” Williams was quoted as sayin by Xinhua.
There was a worrisome moment for Williams in the first set. During the changeover after Williams had taken a 4-1 lead with a booming forehand volley, she called for the trainer to tend to her big toe.
Lengthy rain delays during the week and water damage that shut down Louis Armstrong Stadium caused schedulers to put Stosur and Kerber on the smaller court and leave two men’s semifinals and the Williams vs. Wozniacki semifinal at Arthur Ashe Stadium which has seating capacity of 23,000.
- US Open: Wozniacki-Serena semifinal, Zvonareva falls - Sep 09, 2011
- US Open: Radwanska ousted by Vinci - Sep 04, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Azarenka reaches semifinals - Aug 02, 2012
- Wozniacki reaches Copenhagen WTA semi-finals - Apr 14, 2012
- Radwanska beats Kerber to enter Wimbledon final - Jul 05, 2012
- Top four seeds enter semis at Stuttgart WTA Grand Prix - Apr 28, 2012
- Kerber beats Wozniacki to lift WTA Copenhagen title - Apr 16, 2012
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- Li Na in Cincinnati final - Aug 19, 2012
- US Open, Day 2: Wozniacki out, Djokovic in second round (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- US Open: Radwanska, Kerber, Venus ease into second round (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- US Open: Nadal, Murray in last 16; Stosur vs. Zvonareva in women's quarters - Sep 05, 2011
- Olympics tennis: Murray eases past Nieminen into round 3 (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Top seed out of ASB Tennis Classic in Auckland - Jan 05, 2012
- Djokovic thrashes Roddick at Olympics - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: arthur ashe, arthur ashe stadium, big toe, caroline wozniacki, changeover, final showdown, kerber, louis armstrong, louis armstrong stadium, outright winners, rain delays, samantha stosur, serena williams, signature style, tiebreaker, tournament history, unforced errors, us open tennis, xinhua, york sep