US Open officials scurry for cover under non-existent roofSeptember 8th, 2008 - 1:34 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 8 (DPA) Sunny skies Sunday after a Saturday deluge of rain were heating up the debate on installing a roof on the main showcourt at the US Open.The hard-luck event has resisted the idea for years after opening the Ashe stadium 11 years ago.
But with a men’s final now set for Monday night after an inability to complete the second men’s semi-final between Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray due to the weather, hard questions are being asked.
Officials admit they have plans on the shelf for what could be a $100 million mega-project.
But with traditional Wimbledon somehow able to install a moveable roof on the iconic Centre court, the brashest of the four majors may be embarrassed by its partners into taking the financial plunge itself.
“At this point it is a question of when and not if,” said Open chief executive Arlen Kantarian, refusing to be drawn on specifics as to cost of timetable.
“We believe this tournament has reached the point where we are looking seriously at putting a roof on the Arthur Ashe Stadium.”
The New York event has lagged behind its partners, with two covered showcourts the norm at the Australian Open.
Kantarian did admit that nothing could be done before the 2009 edition at Flushing Meadows. “We’ve had just nine cancelled sessions in the last 20 years of this tournament, but this is something we need to do.”
- Officials fear French Open has outgrown Roland Garros - Mar 23, 2010
- US Open: Azarenka overcomes Stosur to reach semis (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- US Open: Radwanska ousted by Vinci - Sep 04, 2012
- US Open: Mirza, Leander win in doubles, Somdev loses - Sep 01, 2011
- Federer, Nadal have chance to aim for dream US Open final - Sep 13, 2009
- Australia's Stosur welcomes prime-time promotion at US Open - Sep 07, 2010
- US Open: Somdev hopes to play a competitive match against Murray (Preview) - Aug 28, 2011
- Maracana World Cup final stadium to open to public - Apr 03, 2012
- Clijsters to face Zvonareva in US Open final - Sep 11, 2010
- Head-to-head: Djokovic vs. Murray - Sep 10, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Williams showdown for women's title - Sep 08, 2012
- Rain cancels play as US Open spills into Monday - Sep 12, 2009
- Women's US Open semis cancelled after nonstop rain - Sep 12, 2009
- Chhattisgarh ministers fail to disclose assets - Dec 22, 2011
- US Open: Sania-Bethanie advance to second round - Aug 31, 2012