US Olympic gold medallists set sights on Berlin 2009October 4th, 2008 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 4 (DPA) Three US Olympic medallists and the fastest US miler said they have set their sights on the 2009 world athletics championship in Berlin as a major goal for next year.Lashawn Merritt, who salvaged American pride in Beijing by taking gold in the 400 metres and 4×400 relay, is convinced he’ll run faster on Berlin’s blue track.
“Because it’s blue, you feel you are running faster,” he said Friday. “A lot of it is mental. It gets me hyped.”
Alan Webb, the fastest US miler who failed to qualify for Beijing, is hoping Berlin will be a comeback.
Merritt and Webb joined Bryan Clay, US gold decathlon medallist from Beijing, and 10,000m bronze medallist Shalane Flanagan at the German embassy in Washington, where the IAAF Berlin organising committee kicked off its worldwide promotional campaign for the August 2009 event.
It also happened to be German Unity Day, and as the athletes chatted on the sidelines with journalists, a huge crowd was gathering on the massive terraced lawn of the embassy. Michael Mronz, with the Berlin IAAF committee, said Washington was chosen for the launch because “German-American friendship is so strong”.
Merritt, 22, told said how he watched both men’s and women’s US 4×100 teams drop the baton in the semifinals.
“I saw it and I said, ‘Oh man’, my goal was to get gold.”
He went on to do just that - and did it twice. In fact, he led the US men’s sweep of the 400m, ahead of defending Olympic champion Jeremy Wariner and David Neville.
“The winner of the race is the person who wants it most,” Merritt said.
Webb, 25, said he had high hopes for Berlin “because I had a somewhat disappointing 2008.”
“Mistakes I made last year I hope to correct,” Webb said. That meant he would change his training and compete more indoors through this winter season.
- Olympics: James on verge of 400m title - Aug 06, 2012
- Bolt's peerless victory in Zagreb 100 metres - Sep 14, 2011
- US eye 30 athletics medals at London Olympics - Jun 27, 2012
- U.S. Anti-Doping Agency suspends Olympic champion for using penis enlargement drugs - Oct 19, 2010
- Gold Medalist LaShawn Merritt Suspended; Tested Positive for 'ExtenZe' - Oct 19, 2010
- LaShawn Merritt Admits Taking ExtenZe - Oct 19, 2010
- Bolt wins again; three on course for Golden League pot - Aug 29, 2009
- Olympic dreams over, Kenyan racer targets Berlin Marathon - Jul 11, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- Kenya bars students from foreign competition - Feb 17, 2012
- Bolt strolls through 200m; Friedrich and Vlasic set for duel - Aug 18, 2009
- LaShawn Merritt Tested Positive For ExtenZe - Apr 23, 2010
- Indian runners Mandeep and Murmu suspended after failed dope test - Jun 29, 2011
- Five athletes flunk dope tests - Jun 30, 2011
- World atheletics: Jamaican quartet claim 4x100 relay record - Sep 05, 2011