US officials submit report on Neha’s death, no arrests yetMarch 28th, 2010 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, March 28 (IANS) The US authorities probing the death of Neha Chikkara, who reportedly jumped overboard from a cruise ship in the Bahamas on the night of Dec 31 after complaining of harassment for dowry, has submitted their report to Haryana’s vigilance department, which is investigating the case.
Neha’s husband Ankit Dalal and his father S.S.Dalal, who was earlier posted as chief medical officer in Gurgaon, are accused of harassing Neha for dowry and forcing her to commit suicide.
Neha’s parents said that while the US report indicted Ankit, the Haryana vigilance department has not questioned him.
“The vigilance department hasn’t called Ankit to join the investigation. The US authorities have mentioned a few incidents from Neha’s personal diary and confirmed the authenticity of mail sent by Neha minutes before her death,” her father Suresh Chikkara said.
In the mail to her brother sent half an hour before she went missing, Neha said she didn’t have the courage to bear the torture again and again.
Neha’s family said she frequently alleged ill-treatment by her in-laws.
“She always used to tell us how her husband and in-laws are harassing her. They even transferred all her money into their account a few days after the marriage. They also used to beat her and once dislocated her jaw,” her cousin Anuj Ahlawat said.
The US report said that Ankit informed police eight hours after Neha went missing.
According to the Coast Guard in Bahamas, crew members aboard Royal Caribbean’s ‘Monarch of the Seas’ reported Neha Chikkara missing as the ship was headed from Nassau to CocoCay. Security camera footage showed the 23-year-old woman going overboard from the 11th deck early that morning. Bahamian government officials reviewed the footage and determined that the woman jumped overboard.
Neha was working as an air hostess with Indigo airline but had joined ‘Monarch of the Seas’ as a public guest relation manager.
- Neha case: Father-in-law transferred from Gurgaon - Jan 18, 2010
- Woman jumps from Metro station, dies (Second Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Woman commits suicide, six held in dowry case - Jun 14, 2012
- Woman dies after jumping from metro station terrace - May 04, 2012
- Dowry demand leads woman to suicide - Apr 19, 2012
- Married woman commits suicide, in-laws booked - Jan 28, 2012
- Woman sets herself ablaze over dowry harassment - Jun 25, 2011
- Dumb woman killed, body chopped in Bihar - Apr 17, 2012
- CRPF trooper's wife found dead, dowry case filed - May 25, 2012
- Harassed for dowry, woman kills self, son in Rajasthan - Jun 03, 2012
- Police told to give Mumbai woman her 'dowry' money - Feb 16, 2011
- Harassed over dowry, woman commits suicide - May 10, 2011
- Three commit suicide as daughter-in-law files case - Jul 20, 2012
- Army officer surrenders in dowry case - Nov 15, 2011
- Had Kanda sexually exploited Geetika? - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: air hostess, bahamian government, camera footage, crew members, cruise ship, dalal, dowry, eight hours, government officials, guest relation manager, half an hour, ill treatment, mail, medical officer, monarch of the seas, personal diary, report said that, royal caribbean, security camera, vigilance