US offers to lease choppers to India for coastal securityJune 5th, 2009 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) The US has offered to provide helicopters on lease to India to improve patrolling along its 7,516 km-long coast, a defence ministry official here said Friday.
Following the audacious attack on Mumbai last year by terrorists who used the sea route to get into the city, India is considering the option of taking the helicopters on lease for patrolling its vast coastline.
“The US has offered to lease out some helicopters for coastal security. We are considering the option to see if we will be able to meet the gaps in the coastal security,” the official told IANS.
India will need at least 12 helicopters to ramp up its coastal security.
After the November 2008 attacks in Mumbai in which over 170 people were killed, purchase of various defence items were put on the fast track. The clearance has been given for the purchase of 12 Dornier aircraft for the Indian Coast Guard.
“We have asked HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd) to deliver five aircraft by the year-end,” said the official.
He added that 12 requests for proposals for the purchase of defence products are pending and out of them five are ready.
- Coast guard to triple fleet size by 2020 - Jan 31, 2011
- Coast Guard inducts Dornier aircraft - May 23, 2012
- Coast Guard to fit all lighthouses with radars - Jan 28, 2010
- Coast Guard to be largest water protection force by 2018 - Sep 27, 2011
- Post-Mumbai: 3,000 new posts for Coast Guard - Oct 28, 2009
- India positions naval aircraft in Seychelles - Feb 24, 2011
- Two Coast Guard stations established in Arabian Sea to safeguard India's interest - Dec 24, 2010
- India's coastal security plan yet to take off (Three years after 26/11) - Nov 25, 2011
- Don't disinvest in HAL, says CPI-M - Sep 19, 2011
- HAL inks pact to make multi-role aircraft - May 29, 2012
- Coast Guard to raise new base in Kolkata - May 06, 2010
- Coast Guard lacks teeth to safeguard India's coast: CAG - Aug 05, 2011
- Indian Navy begins training coastal patrol force - Jan 11, 2010
- India'a Dornier aircraft in Seychelles for anti-piracy operations - Feb 16, 2011
- Antony sets two-month deadline for coastal radars - Aug 02, 2012