US Navy to shift 60 percent fleet to PacificJune 13th, 2012 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 13 (IANS) The US Navy will send its most sophisticated ships and aircraft to the Asia-Pacific region as it builds up its presence there, it was reported here Wednesday.
Admiral Cecil Haney, commander of the US Pacific Fleet, was quoted by Daily Mail as having said that under a policy recently outlined by Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, 60 percent of the Navy’s fleet will be deployed to the Pacific by 2020.
The admiral had Monday cited as an example the Littoral Combat Ship, which can operate in shallower waters than other vessels. The Navy plans to begin deploying one of the ships to Singapore next year, Daily Mail reported.
The EA-18G plane — which can jam enemy air defences and fly faster than the speed of sound — is another. Haney said squadrons of these aircraft would be coming through the region.
There is also the Navy’s most advanced submarine — the Virginia-class. Several of these vessels are based at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
The policy offers further details to the Obama administration’s announcement earlier this year of a new defence strategy that places greater emphasis on a US military presence in the region in response to Asia’s growing economic importance and China’s rise as a military power, Daily Mail said.
The US Navy currently has about 285 ships about evenly divided among the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. The total number of ships will decline in coming years as some vessels are retired without being replaced by new ones.
- US to redeploy naval fleet in Asia-Pacific region - Jun 02, 2012
- 'US focus on Asia-Pacific will help India contain China' - Jun 08, 2012
- Shangri La Dialogue: 'Anodyne' Antony belied expectations (Comment) - Jun 08, 2012
- US announces defence budget slash - Jan 27, 2012
- No active deployment of warships in Pacific: India - Aug 07, 2012
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- India gets hawk eye over Strait of Malacca - Jul 30, 2012
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- India calls for rational demarcation of pirate-infested waters - Apr 22, 2012
- Russia, US naval anti-terror exercises begin - Oct 13, 2011
- Brand new Indian Navy with long legs by 2027: Admiral Verma - Dec 02, 2011
- Cut through red tape to enhance US-India defence cooperation: Panetta - Jun 06, 2012
- China's military buildup aimed at power past Asia: US Admiral - Mar 26, 2010
- US Defence Secretary to visit India in June - May 23, 2012
- China stepping up 'carrier killer,' missile tests, warns US expert - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: admiral, air defences, asia pacific region, daily mail, defence strategy, defense secretary, economic importance, enemy air, faster than the speed of sound, leon panetta, littoral combat ship, military power, obama, pacific oceans, pearl harbor, pearl harbor hawaii, speed of sound, us military presence, us pacific fleet, virginia class