US missile shield in Europe prompts arms race: RussiaAugust 21st, 2008 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 21 (RIA Novosti) US agreements on deploying elements of its missile shield in Poland and the Czech Republic provoke an arms race and do not provide for European security, the Russian Foreign Ministry has said. “It is worth stressing that the deployment of the third site in Europe with genuine anti-Russian potential by no means enhances security on the continent,” a ministry statement said Wednesday.
“Such measures provoke mistrust and prompt an arms race on the continent and beyond its borders,” the statement added.
The deal to place 10 interceptor missiles in Poland was reached Aug 14 and formally signed Wednesday by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski.
It followed the signing of an agreement July 8 by the Rice and Czech Foreign Minister Karel Schwarzenberg to station a US radar in the Czech Republic.
Moscow has consistently expressed its opposition to the US missile shield in Europe, saying it threatens its national security.
The US says the shield is designed to thwart missile attacks by what it calls “rogue states”, including Iran.
However, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev reiterated last week that Moscow has no doubt the missile shield’s third site is aimed against Russia.
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- US may disclose missile defence data to Russia - Mar 12, 2012
- Russia-NATO missile shield talks stalled ahead of 2012 summit - Oct 31, 2011
- Russia threatens to stop missile defence cooperation with US - Oct 06, 2011
- US missile deal was a mistake: Poland - Aug 05, 2012
- Russia wants presence at Czech missile defence sites - Oct 21, 2008
- US defence system in Poland unjustified: Russia - Jul 07, 2010
- Medvedev to discuss missile issues with US - Jun 11, 2010
- 'China may build up N-capability to counter US missile shield' - Feb 25, 2010
- No pact on arms cut sans missile defence clause: Russia - Mar 23, 2010
- Czech opposition demands court hearing on US missile deal - Nov 03, 2008
- Czech Republic may sell combat jets to Iraq - Apr 19, 2011
- US not cooperating with Russia on missile defence: Minister - Sep 04, 2011
- No strategic significance for Patriot missiles near Russia: Poland - Jan 21, 2010
- Russia close to arms reductions deal with US: Medvedev - Mar 02, 2010