US missile attack kills six in PakistanSeptember 5th, 2008 - 6:32 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 4 (DPA) At least six people were killed and four injured Thursday when a US missile hit a militant hideout in Pakistan’s tribal region along the Afghan border, officials said.A local security official said a missile fired from a US drone hit a house in Mohammad Khel area, in tribal district of North Waziristan, considered a sanctuary for Al Qaeda and Taliban militants.
The house, which was demolished by the strike, belonged to Farman Daoud, who was known in the area for his links with Al Qaeda militants.
Some militants were believed to be among the killed.
Another security official said the guided missile was fired from Afghanistan.
Major Murad Khan, an army spokesman, confirmed the explosion but said the cause was unknown. “We are investigating the matter,” he said.
The missile attack came a day after helicopter-borne US commandos carried out a pre-dawn raid in the Pakistani tribal district of South Waziristan on the house of a tribesman, identified as Payo Jan, killing 10 members of his family.
At least 10 more people were killed when the Afghanistan-based soldiers fired at Jan’s neighbours who came out of their houses after hearing the gunshots.
US forces operating in Afghanistan have launched several aerial and missile attacks in the restive tribal region, but Wednesday’s raid was the first known ground assault by the foreign troops inside Pakistani territory.
It fueled anger in Pakistan. The lower house of Pakistani parliament Thursday passed a unanimous resolution to condemn the attack.
- Six militants killed in US drone strikes in North Waziristan - Nov 01, 2010
- 18 killed in Pakistan drone attacks (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- US drone attack kills four in Pakistan - Nov 26, 2010
- Nine killed in Pakistan drone strike - Jul 12, 2011
- US drone attacks kill six in Pakistan - Feb 24, 2011
- US drone attack kills 11 militants in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- US drone attack kills eight militants in Pakistan - Sep 14, 2010
- US drone attack kills three militants in Pakistan's North Waziristan district - Jan 12, 2011
- Eight killed by US drones in Pakistan - Oct 16, 2010
- US drones kill seven in Pakistan (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- US drone attacks kill 15 militants in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- US drone attack kills 22 suspected militants in North Waziristan - Mar 17, 2011
- US missile attack kills seven militants in Pakistan - Aug 15, 2010
- Badruddin Haqqani killed in drone attack: Report - Aug 25, 2012
- Taliban commander ends truce with Pakistan Army after Osama killing - May 05, 2011