US made n-deal for ‘its own kind’ India only: RiceOctober 4th, 2008 - 12:35 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 4 (IANS) India got its civil nuclear deal with the US despite its strategic nuclear programmes because it is “sui generis” - Latin for “of its own kind” - so suggests US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.”I think India is really sui generis. It is a state that has had - really, very good proliferation record,” she told reporters Friday on her way to New Delhi when asked if the India deal would in any sense serve as a model for other countries seeking a similar deal.
“Obviously, it posed some challenges because of its strategic nuclear programmes,” she said, but believed that the approval of the deal by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), and ultimately, the Congress, was a recognition of what the nuclear watchdog agency’s head had said.
Rice cited IAEA director general Mohamed ElBaradei as saying that “bringing India and Indian civil nuclear programmes and facilities and their future into the IAEA framework is a win for the proliferation regime as a whole.”
“I think India is, in many ways, sui generis in that regard,” she added.
- N-deal for 'sui generis' India only: Rice (Lead) - Oct 04, 2008
- India honours ElBaradei with Indira Gandhi Prize - Sep 30, 2009
- IAEA trying to dry up A.Q. Khan network: ElBaradei - Sep 30, 2009
- A n-test may put India to Hyde test, suggests Rice - Oct 04, 2008
- India-US nuclear deal was win-win: ElBaradei - Mar 19, 2011
- India to honour ElBaradei with Indira prize Wednesday - Sep 29, 2009
- ElBaradei - a Nobel laureate in eye of Egypt's political storm - Jan 31, 2011
- Egypt crisis: US sizing up ex-IAEA chief El-Baradei - Feb 01, 2011
- El-Baradei was 'too soft on Tehran', says WikiLeaks cable - Feb 10, 2011
- Peer review needed for all nuke reactors: ElBaradei - Mar 19, 2011
- Mohamed ElBaradei to run for Egyptian presidency - Mar 10, 2011
- IAEA chief secretly dealing with Iran to end nuclear sanctions - Nov 17, 2009
- Careful note taken of IAEA resolution on Iran, say official sources - Nov 27, 2009
- ElBaradei urges Mubarak to quit - Feb 01, 2011
- Mubarak urged to quit as opposition draws up list of demands (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2011