US lesbian activist Del Martin dies at 87August 28th, 2008 - 2:11 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Aug 28 (DPA) US Lesbian rights pioneer Del Martin, who married her partner of 55 years in one of California’s first same-sex weddings, died Wednesday in San Francisco of natural causes. She was 87.”I am devastated, but I take some solace in knowing we were able to enjoy the ultimate rite of love and commitment before she passed,” said Martin’s partner Phyllis Lyon, 83, as quoted by the San Francisco Chronicle.
The couple were “remarried” June 16 at San Francisco City Hall by Mayor Gavin Newsom after the California Supreme Court declared marriage for same-sex couples a fundamental right.
In 2004, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom allowed marriage licences to be issued to gay and lesbian couples in defiance of state law and Martin and Lyon were the first of some 4,000 same-sex couples to wed. However, those marriages were later nullified by the state’s high court.
Martin and Lyon were plaintiffs in the lawsuit that got the state ban on same-sex marriage lifted. They were married minutes after the ruling was in effect.
Martin’s political activism began in 1955 when she co-founded a ground-breaking lesbian rights organisation, Daughters of Bilitis, named after a book of lesbian love poetry.
In the 1960s Martin’s activism extended into the feminist movement, when she became the first open lesbian to serve on the board of directors of the National Organisation of Women.
She helped spearhead a successful campaign to get the American Psychiatric Association to remove homosexuality from its roster of mental illnesses.
California is one of only a few US states to allow same-sex marriage. However, state voters will decide whether to abolish the right in November.
- Hundreds of gay, lesbian couples say "I do" in New York (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- California's first legal same-sex wedding - Jun 17, 2008
- Federal judge overturns California gay marriage ban (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 05, 2010
- Gay marriage not a human right: European ruling - Mar 21, 2012
- Schwarzenegger backs gay marriage - Aug 07, 2010
- Obama supports gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- First same-sex couple wed in New York - Jul 25, 2011
- Gay marriages can resume in California - Aug 13, 2010
- UK royals urged to back gay marriages - Apr 25, 2011
- US shifts legal stance on gay marriage - Feb 24, 2011
- New York same-sex marriage law gives Aussie advocates hope - Jun 25, 2011
- The Pronouncement Of The Judge In California On The Legalization Of Sex-Same Unions Is Ready For Release - Aug 04, 2010
- California allows same sex marriage - Aug 05, 2010
- California Federal Judge Vaughn Walker Overturns Proposition 8 - Aug 05, 2010
- Sarah Palin is 'sexiest politician in US' - Oct 14, 2010