US keen to take ties with India to new level: Hillary ClintonJanuary 24th, 2009 - 1:04 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 23 (IANS) US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton rang up her Indian counterpart Pranab Mukherjee Friday, underlining the US’ desire to take the relationship with India to a new level.”Secretary Clinton expressed her desire to work together with the external affairs minister to take the relationship between India and the USA to a new level,” the external affairs ministry said in a statement.
“Both ministers agreed that they would like to further strengthen the excellent bilateral relationship between India and the USA,” the statement added.
Mukherjee congratulated Clinton, a staunch advocate of strong India-US relations, on her assumption of the office of US secretary of state.
Clinton was expected to call Mukherjee Thursday, but failed to get through to him as he was away in Afghanistan.
Clinton’s remarks were the first at this level that underscored the Obama administration’s resolve to deepen multi-faceted relations with India. A policy document on foreign policy released by the White House Tuesday made no mention of India, but spoke about building new partnerships in Asia.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday wrote a congratulatory letter to US President Barack Obama and hoped that the India-US relationship will be bolstered during his presidency.
Manmohan Singh also invited Obama and his spouse Michelle to visit India and said that he looked forward to working with the US president to “address regional and global issues of common concern”.
- Hillary Clinton to visit India next month - Apr 27, 2012
- Putin lauds India's global role, seeks new vistas of cooperation - Aug 14, 2012
- Krishna leaves for Myanmar - Jun 20, 2011
- Clinton, Krishna discuss terror, Afghanistan (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Clinton meets PM - May 07, 2012
- Thai PM chief guest at Republic Day parade - Jan 23, 2012
- Defence, counter-terrorism key focus of India-US strategic dialogue - Jun 01, 2010
- Manmohan invites Obama to India, hopes for stronger ties - Jan 23, 2009
- Menon meets Clinton to prepare for strategic dialogue - Jan 28, 2011
- Krishna heads for first India-US strategic dialogue (Lead) - May 30, 2010
- For Hillary, ties with India are an 'affair of the heart' - Jun 14, 2012
- Clinton to visit India, nuclear waiver, AfPak tops agenda - Jul 08, 2011
- Clinton for strong India-US ties in innovation - May 08, 2012
- 'US has enormous stake in India's emergence as a global power' - Jun 13, 2012
- Obama, Manmohan Singh begin restricted talks - Nov 08, 2010