US issues worldwide travel alert for its nationalsOctober 12th, 2011 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 12 (IANS) The US issued a worldwide travel alert for Americans Tuesday after a plot to assassinate Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Washington was exposed.
“The Department of State alerts US citizens of the potential for anti-US actions following the disruption of a plot, linked to Iran, to commit a significant terrorist act in the United States,” authorities said in a statement.
The alert said the “Iranian-backed plan to assassinate the Saudi ambassador may indicate a more aggressive focus by the Iranian government on terrorist activity”, which was aimed at diplomats from certain nations, including the US.
The worldwide terror alert, which will expire Jan 11, came after the US Justice Department Tuesday accused two men, including an Iranian-born US citizen, of conspiring to kill the Saudi Arabian envoy Adel al-Jubeir and planning bomb attacks against Saudi and Israeli embassies in the US, reported Xinhua.
Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Ramin Mehmanparast Tuesday rejected the US accusations, terming them as an “incorrect” and “prefabricated scenario”, the semi-official Fars news agency reported.
- Obama calls Saudi envoy on assassination attempt - Oct 12, 2011
- Iran to respond 'strongly' to any 'destructive' US act - Oct 16, 2011
- No 'direct contact' with US : Iran - Oct 15, 2011
- Iran demands apology from US - Oct 31, 2011
- Iran does not need assassinations: Ahmadinejad - Oct 16, 2011
- Iranian leader says alleged assassination plot 'absurd' - Oct 16, 2011
- Ready to examine US evidence on alleged assassination plot: Iran - Oct 18, 2011
- Iran summons Swiss diplomat over US assassination charge - Oct 12, 2011
- Iranians protest anti-Islam movie - Sep 13, 2012
- Hand over murder plot suspect: US to Iran - Oct 18, 2011
- Clinton to hold Iran accountable for Saudi envoy plot - Oct 13, 2011
- Iran says ready for defence cooperation with Egypt, Libya - Oct 30, 2011
- Iran rejects US claims over assassination plot - Oct 13, 2011
- Obama vows to apply toughest sanctions on Iran - Oct 14, 2011
- Saudi Arabia distances itself from WikiLeaks expose - Dec 01, 2010
Tags: accusations, adel, bomb attacks, department of state, diplomats, disruption, foreign ministry spokesperson, iranian government, israeli embassies, saudi ambassador, saudi arabia, saudi arabian, semi official, terror alert, terrorist act, terrorist activity, travel alert, us justice department, worldwide travel, xinhua