US issues worldwide alert after Al-Awlaki’s killingOctober 2nd, 2011 - 8:21 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Department of State has warned US citizens worldwide about possible retaliation attacks after the death of a radical US-born cleric in Yemen.
Anwar al-Awlaki, along with several other militants, was killed early Friday in eastern Yemen in what Yemeni newspapers say was a suspected CIA drone strike.
“The death of Awlaki, in the near term, could provide motivation for anti-American attacks worldwide from individuals or groups seeking to retaliate against US citizens or interests because of this action,” the US Department of State said.
“Awlaki’s standing as a pre-eminent English-language advocate of violence could potentially trigger anti-American acts worldwide to avenge his death,” the department’s travel alert reads.
The warning will remain in place until Nov 30.
The FBI and the Department of Homeland Security have also warned about possible retaliation from extremists on the US territory.
- Al-Qaeda leader Anwar al-Awlaki sentenced to ten years in prison - Jan 17, 2011
- Al-Qaeda leader Al-Awlaki killed: Yemen - Sep 30, 2011
- Al-Awlaki's death major blow to Al Qaeda: Obama - Oct 01, 2011
- Official cites terror threat to justify targeting Americans - Mar 06, 2012
- Yemen charges US-born radical cleric Al-Awlaki for first time - Nov 03, 2010
- Obama not pushing for Yemen president to go because of Al Qaeda threat: Experts - Mar 23, 2011
- Anwar al-Awlaki calls for more terror attacks on West in new video - Sep 30, 2010
- Al-Qaeda English language magazine published - Oct 13, 2010
- Qaeda's sarcastic new American mouthpiece - Nov 30, 2010
- US born cleric al-Awlaki added to terror blacklist - Jul 17, 2010
- 'Yemen will be Obama's Afghanistan': Al-Qaeda cleric - Jul 20, 2010
- Xmas bomb suspect claims radical imam told him to bomb jet - Feb 06, 2010
- New York police arrest 'al-Qaeda sympathizer' who plotted bombing campaign - Nov 21, 2011
- Us judge dismisses suit challenging government's authority to kill Qaeda's Al-Awlaki - Dec 08, 2010
- American born radical cleric al-Awlaki linked to UK terror plot - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: advocate, anwar al, cia, cia drone, cleric, department of homeland, department of homeland security, department of state, english language, extremists, fbi, homeland security, militants, motivation, retaliation, ria novosti, travel alert, us department of state, yemen, yemeni newspapers