US hopes China will back India n-deal in NSGJuly 23rd, 2008 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 23 (IANS) The US Wednesday said it has spoken to China about support for its nuclear deal with India and expressed hope that Beijing will take a positive view of global nuclear cooperation with New Delhi. “Yes, we have had conversations with China. China has agreed to review carefully the necessary documentation before taking a decision,” US Ambassador David Mulford told reporters here in a conference call from Cleveland.
“I have a feeling they will take a positive view. But I can’t speak for China,” he replied when asked whether the US was confident that China will back India in the 45-member Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG).
The telephonic interaction was arranged by the US embassy at the American Centre.
The US is keen to convene a meeting of the NSG in the first week of August after the approval of the India-specific safeguards agreement by the IAEA board at its meeting Aug 1.
The US wants the NSG process to be completed in August so that the 123 agreement can be endorsed by the US Congress in September before Washington and New Delhi ink the bilateral civil nuclear cooperation agreement.
China, one of the five recognised nuclear weapon states and influential member of the NSG, has been ambivalent about the India-US nuclear deal and has yet to take a formal position on it.
However, during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s meeting with Chinese President Hu Jintao July 9 on the sidelines of the G8 summit in Japan, Beijing indicated it will not be a hurdle in the path of India in the NSG, said Indian officials.
After winning the trust vote in parliament Tuesday evening, the Indian government has deputed special envoys to key NSG countries in order to get their support in the IAEA and the NSG.
Minister of State in Prime Minister’s Office Prithviraj Chavan will soon travel to Beijing to seek its support in the NSG.
- India hopes for China's support in NSG - Jul 25, 2008
- India taps NSG over China-Pakistan n-deal - Jun 20, 2010
- India pleased yet guarded on nuke group's stand - Jun 26, 2010
- US committed to India n-deal despite Japan disaster - Mar 19, 2011
- India asks NSG members to abide by 2008 clean waiver - Aug 10, 2011
- US firmly supports clean waiver to India: Roemer - Jun 30, 2011
- India closely watching NSG meet on China-Pakistan n-deal - Jun 15, 2010
- Canada to fast-track nuclear deal with India (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- India examining China-Pakistan n-deal, leaves it to NSG - May 25, 2010
- Pak insists nuke deal with China 'transparent' - Jul 06, 2010
- Nuke deal with China strictly in accordance with IAEA rules, insists Pak - Jun 28, 2010
- US opposes China-Pakistan nuke deal - Jun 16, 2010
- US says committed to n-deal, pushes India on liability law (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- US wants India to ratify compensation regime for n-accidents - Jul 19, 2011
- India hopeful of wrapping up n-deal by September: Sibal - Jul 26, 2008