US hails meeting between Chinese president and Taiwan leaderApril 12th, 2008 - 1:11 pm ICT by admin
Washington, April 12 (Xinhua) The US has welcomed an upcoming meeting between Chinese President Hu Jintao and Taiwanese leader Vincent Siew, saying that it was “the best way forward” to improve cross-strait relations. The US thinks that dialogue is the best way forward, Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte said, responding to a question from reporters.
“We believe the best way to settle differences over the Taiwan Strait is by peaceful means,” he said. “So yes, I would say that this is a good way forward,” he added.
Vincent Siew, leader of the Taiwan-based Cross-Strait Common Market Foundation delegation, arrived at Boao, a scenic town in the island province of Hainan in south China, Friday afternoon to attend the annual conference of Boao Forum for Asia (BFA).
Siew is expected to attend a round-table conference on cross-strait trade in Boao Sunday.
President Hu will meet the Taiwanese entrepreneur delegation headed by Vincent Siew Saturday, according to Long Yongtu, secretary-general of the BFA.
It is the sixth time for Siew to head the Taiwan delegation for the BFA since 2003.
The theme for the 2008 BFA annual meeting is “Green Asia: Moving Toward Win-Win Through Changes”.
Established in 2001, the BFA has become the premier platform for discussion and debate on economic development in Asia.
- China, Taiwan to discuss cross-Straits relations - Apr 15, 2009
- Medvedev in China for BRICS summit - Apr 13, 2011
- Hu calls for inclusive development in Asia - Apr 15, 2011
- Chinese President Hu Jintao meets Taiwan's vice president-elect - Apr 12, 2008
- Seeking internal growth drivers a new trend: Chinese official - Apr 02, 2012
- China, Taiwan sign historic economic pact (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Taiwan's vice president-elect arrives in China - Apr 11, 2008
- Pakistan to buy power from Iran: Gilani - Apr 01, 2012
- Taiwan vice president-elect to meet Chinese president - Apr 11, 2008
- Pakistan-China trade can reach $15 bn: Gilani - Apr 01, 2012
- Cross-Straits forum in China decides to go green - Jul 10, 2010
- Boao conference begins with focus on financial crisis - Apr 18, 2009
- Sustainable development needed in Asia: Chinese official (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Chinese president meets top Taiwan official at APEC summit - Nov 15, 2009
- China-Taiwan set to sign landmark trade deal - Jun 25, 2010