US gang recruiting Russian women for strip clubs bustedDecember 1st, 2011 - 6:35 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) At least 20 members of a human trafficking ring were arrested Thursday by US federal agents for allegedly smuggling women from Russia to work in American strip clubs.
Charges brought against the suspected criminals include visa fraud, marriage fraud and conspiracy to transport illegal immigrants, Manhattan US Attorney Preet Bharara was quoted as saying by the New York Post.
The gang allegedly provided women to owners and operators of strip clubs in New York’s Queens and Long Island, and then charged the clubs “protection” money.
“The defendants procured and sent these women false job offers for waitressing and other positions they would then include on their visa applications,” prosecutors said.
However, once the women arrived in the US, they worked as exotic dancers at strip clubs, in violation of visa rules prohibiting employment in the adult entertainment industry.
- Russian gang nabbed in US for $279 mn fraud - Mar 01, 2012
- Man with 250 rare animals caught in Argentina - Dec 27, 2011
- Berlusconi named in US human trafficking report - Oct 31, 2011
- Wanted sex trafficker extradited to Russia - Mar 31, 2012
- 25 Russians charged in US banking fraud - Oct 02, 2010
- Four Russians held for poisoning 11 people - Apr 28, 2012
- Uruguay to debate legalising marijuana - Aug 09, 2012
- Murder accused held after 20 years on the run - Sep 28, 2011
- Tajikistan to release BBC reporter - Jul 14, 2011
- Russian drug dealer's accomplice gets 30 years in jail - Jul 29, 2011
- Russia slams hacker's extradition to US - Jan 20, 2012
- Moscow cop held with one kg cocaine - Aug 18, 2012
- Rajat Gupta convicted on insider trading charges (Second lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- IAEA demands access to Iranian military site - Sep 10, 2012
- Russia opens first probe into alleged poll fraud - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: adult entertainment industry, clubs in new york, dg, exotic dancers, federal agents, human trafficking, illegal immigrants, long island, marriage fraud, new york post, preet bharara, prosecutors, protection money, ria novosti, russian women, strip clubs, visa applications, visa fraud, visa rules, waitressing