US F-18 jet crashes in San DiegoDecember 9th, 2008 - 5:10 am ICT by IANS
Washington/Los Angeles, Dec 9 (DPA) A US Marine Corps F-18 fighter jet crashed in a San Diego neighbourhood Monday, a Marine spokesman in Washington said.Captain Carl Redding could not confirm whether there were injuries or reports that the pilot or pilots had ejected from the plane. The Marine Corps flies F-18s out of the Miramar Naval Air Station in the San Diego area.
Television pictures showed a thick pall of white smoke rising from the houses, and a tangles heap of wreckage lying in the tree-lined street. Witnesses reported hearing a loud explosion seconds before the crash, indicating that the pilot had ejected.
San Diego Police spokeswoman Monica Munoz said it was initially unclear how many houses had been impacted by the crashed plane.
“At this point the indication is that the only person who may be injured is the pilot, and there were no other crew on the aircraft and we know that there were no munitions on the aircraft either,” Munoz told DPA.
“The first thing I heard was an explosion like a gunshot which was the pilot ejecting followed seconds later by the crash,” said local resident Ben Dishman. He estimated that the plane had hit two or three houses.
Miramar was the setting for the movie “Top Gun”.
- US fighter jet crash kills two (Lead) - Dec 09, 2008
- Two U.S. Marines rescued after fighter jet crashes off San Diego, CA - Aug 11, 2011
- 10 hurt as US Navy jet explodes - Apr 01, 2011
- US Navy jet crashes, pilots safe - Apr 07, 2012
- Two die as plane crashes into lagoon - Mar 16, 2012
- Military Plane and Helicopter collide - Oct 31, 2009
- IAF plane crashes near Chennai, pilots safe (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Turkey denies fighter jet shot down by Syria - Jul 14, 2012
- US F-16 fighter crashes off Japan - Jul 22, 2012
- Pakistani fighter jet crashes - Aug 16, 2011
- Pakistani woman fighter pilot hurt in crash (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- IAF Mirage-2000 crashes, both pilots safe - Feb 24, 2012
- Malaysian air force pilot dies in crash - Mar 25, 2010
- Search on for the pilot after F-22 crash - Nov 19, 2010
- Pilot dies as Pakistani Air Force trainer crashes (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012