US eye 30 athletics medals at London OlympicsJune 27th, 2012 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 27 (IANS) US Olympic athletics team is aiming at no less than 30 medals at the upcoming London Games, said coaches Andrew Valmon and Amy Deem.
Men’s Olympic coach Valmon and women’s coach Deem expressed confidence on a rest day at the US Olympic track and field trials.
“There is a lot of opportunities to get those 30 medals,” Valmon was quoted as saying by Xinhua Tuesday.
The 30-medal goal for London was set by former USA Track and Field chief executive Doug Logan and backed by new chief executive Max Siegel.
The US team claimed 23 medals from athletics at Beijing with seven golds, nine silvers and seven bronzes.
“We’re going to have a strong team. We’re excited,” Valmon said.
“Our goal is always to bring home as many medals as we can. We are on track to do that,” Deem said. “I think we have an opportunity to bring home a lot of medals.”
The women’s team includes reigning 100m World champion Carmelita Jeter, reigning 100m hurdles Olympic champion Dawn Harper and reigning Olympic discus champion Stephanie Brown Trafton.
The men’s team comprise 2004 Olympic 100m champion Justin Gatlin, former world 100m champion Tyson Gay, reigning world high jump champion Jesse Williams and reigning Olympic 400m champion LaShawn Merritt.
- James gets Olympic warm-up win, Fraser-Pryce loses - Jul 15, 2012
- Bolt, Blake to lead Caribbean challenge - Aug 22, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Deserved triumph for Merritt on good night for US (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Jamaican sprinter appeals for help for junior athletes - Sep 10, 2012
- Olympics athletics: Fraser-Pryce wins women's 100m gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Pryce retains 100m crown to make history (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Felix wins 200m gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- LaShawn Merritt Admits Taking ExtenZe - Oct 19, 2010
- Liu dominates 110m hurdles, Powell takes 100m in Shanghai - May 20, 2012
- Powell edged out but Walker posts world-leading time - May 12, 2012
- Olympic athletics: US breaks women's 4x100m relay world record - Aug 12, 2012
- Jamaican trio wins but Fraser-Pryce beaten again - Aug 27, 2012
- Olympics: Francis tips Fraser-Pryce for sprint double - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt, Blake headline weekend track action - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: 100m hurdles, 2004 olympic 100m champion, doug logan, jesse williams, lashawn merritt, london games, london olympics, max siegel, olympic 100m, olympic champion, olympic coach, olympic track and field, olympic track and field trials, stephanie brown, track and field trials, trafton, us olympic track and field trials, usa track and field, valmon, world champion