US donates vehicles, tents to PakistanFebruary 15th, 2012 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 15 (IANS) The US embassy Wednesday donated ambulances, vans, buses and motorbikes to the Islamabad Women’s Police Station and 800 tents to the National Disaster Management Authority for use in future disasters.
The vehicles include two ambulances, two buses, two vans and two motorcycles. Other equipment donated under a women’s assistance programme include 64 helmets, 20 first-aid kits, radio sets and battery chargers, the Online news agency reported.
The donation was part of a US government programme to assist women police across Pakistan.
The programme — initiated in 2011 — is designed to assist women police in developing professional capacity by providing training, equipment and infrastructure.
Till date, the US has allocated $5 million for the programme.
Earlier, women police have been trained for operating police vehicles and using computers.
At a ceremony held at the Islamabad Police Lines, Jon Danilowicz, director of the Narcotics Affairs Section at the US embassy, presented the equipment to the women’s police station.
The US also delivered 800 tents to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) in a bid to strengthen its ability to quickly respond in the event of a disaster.
The tents, part of a larger $5.8 million project to support Pakistan’s flood relief efforts, will be used to house families in the event of future disasters, the US embassy said.
“Whenever a natural disaster strikes, rapid response is crucial. These tents will enable the Pakistan government to respond quickly and effectively in order to prevent the loss of life and reduce suffering,” said Karen Freeman, deputy director of the US Agency for International Development (USAID).
After the 2010 and 2011 floods, the US has delivered more than $700 million worth of assistance to flood-affected people throughout the country.
- Over 300 killed, 6 million affected in Pakistan floods - Sep 18, 2011
- US donates bomb disposal vans, motorcycles to Pakistan - Dec 21, 2011
- $3 mn ADB flood aid for Pakistan - Oct 28, 2011
- UNICEF seeks $50mn for flood-hit Pakistani kids - Oct 13, 2011
- Pakistan floods: Toll rises to 412 - Sep 25, 2011
- Pakistan wants more flood money as Rs.5 bn lies unutilised - Sep 19, 2011
- 'Foreign aid for flood-hit Pakistan inadequate' - Sep 27, 2011
- 209 dead in floods in Pakistan's Sindh - Sep 12, 2011
- China to give $5 million more for Pakistan's flood victims - Oct 07, 2011
- US donates equipment to Sri Lanka Air Force (With Images) - Aug 23, 2010
- Eight mn fake tablets detected in Pakistan - Sep 27, 2011
- US delivers new helicopters to Pakistan - May 18, 2010
- China announces 410mn-dollar assistance for Pakistan flood victims - Dec 18, 2010
- US to give Pakistan Army two transport choppers - Apr 30, 2010
- US pledges extra $25 mn for Pakistan flood victims - Aug 06, 2010
Tags: affairs section, ambulances, battery chargers, disaster management, first aid kits, flood relief efforts, karen freeman, kits radio, management authority, national disaster, natural disaster, ndma, pakistan government, pakistan islamabad, police lines, police vehicles, professional capacity, radio sets, us embassy, women police