US deploys more missiles than RussiaOctober 26th, 2011 - 10:56 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US has deployed some 300 more missiles than Russia, according to data published by the Department of State.
According to the facts-sheet of the New START Treaty Aggregate Numbers of Strategic Offensive Arms, posted on the State Department website, the US has 822 deployed inter-continental ballistic missiles (ICBM) and submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM), and heavy bombers, while Russia has 516.
Russia is also at a disadvantage in the number of warheads on deployed carriers - 1,566 warheads against 1,790 US warheads.
The New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START), which entered into force Feb 5, 2011, commits the US and Russia to reduce and limit the number of deployed and non-deployed strategic offensive arms to the agreed aggregate numbers.
Beginning April 6, 2011, inspections under the New START Treaty are regularly conducted in Russia and the US with consistent data exchange carried out every six months.
Till date, the US has conducted 12 inspections while Russia has conducted 11. These inspections have taken place at ICBM, SLBM, and heavy bomber bases, storage facilities, conversion or elimination facilities, and test ranges.
- Putin, Obama agree to continue missile talks - Jun 19, 2012
- Russia accuses US of flouting non-proliferation treaty - Aug 07, 2010
- Russia to train soldiers for missile systems - Jan 18, 2012
- New Russian missile can carry bigger warhead: Expert - Sep 08, 2012
- Bulava missile dangerous for Russia: Experts - Feb 21, 2012
- Russia may adopt new ICBM by 2022 - May 08, 2012
- Russia to build new intercontinental missile by 2018 - Sep 04, 2012
- Russia successfully test fires Bulava missiles - Dec 24, 2011
- Missiles of the world - a look at countries' arsenals - Apr 19, 2012
- Russia, US to ratify arms cut treaty in July - Jul 06, 2010
- Russia seeks new arms reduction deal with US - Oct 08, 2009
- Russia test-fires ballistic missile - Jul 28, 2011
- Putin pledges 400 ICBMs for Russia in 10 years - Feb 20, 2012
- Russia could deploy unmanned bomber after 2040 - Aug 03, 2012
- Russia test fires sub-launched missile - Jun 28, 2011