US Democrats urge Bush to shift anti-terror focusApril 7th, 2008 - 1:25 pm ICT by admin
Washington, April 7 (Xinhua) US Senate Democrats have sent a letter to President George W. Bush urging him to shift anti-terror efforts from Iraq to Afghanistan and Pakistan. In the letter Sunday, Harry Reid, the majority leader, and other Democratic senators, said the White House has committed too much of US resources to Iraq while neglecting “terror-havens” of Afghanistan and Pakistan.
“While violence and the drug trade have surged in Afghanistan and Pakistan’s security remains fragile, we are distracted by an endless civil war in Iraq,” the letter said.
“To make America more secure, we must refocus on hunting down a resurgent Al Qaeda, securing a troubled Afghanistan and rebuilding our overburdened and misused military,” it added.
The letter, among other things, is setting the stage for the upcoming fresh round of debate on Iraq policy as top US commander in Iraq David Petraeus and US Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker are scheduled to testify at the Capitol Hill early next week on the situation in Iraq.
Although under growing pressure to withdraw troops from Iraq, Bush seems determined to stay his own course.
- Panetta set to be US Defense Secretary, Petraeus to be CIA chief - Apr 27, 2011
- Pakistan considers India an existential threat: US - Feb 01, 2012
- Obama likely to announce changes in national security team this week - Apr 27, 2011
- US Senate confirms Petraeus to lead CIA - Jul 01, 2011
- US, NATO forces' progress in Afghanistan 'fragile and reversible': Petraeus - Mar 16, 2011
- US accuses Pakistan of supporting Haqqani network - Sep 23, 2011
- US lawmakers seek terrorist tag for Haqqani network - May 12, 2012
- Petraeus to commence third US 'war' in Pakistan as CIA chief: Report - Apr 30, 2011
- Petraeus vows 'relentless' pursuit of Taliban - Jun 30, 2010
- U.S. Senate confirms Gen. Petraeus as new Afghan war commander - Jul 01, 2010
- Obama to end US combat role in Iraq by August 2010 (Lead) - Feb 28, 2009
- Capturing bin Laden still priority: Petraeus - Aug 16, 2010
- Best way to end Pakistan's support for terrorist groups is to win Afghan war: McCain - Mar 16, 2011
- Petraeus voices unity on Afghanistan - Jun 30, 2010
- US lawmaker hails India's positive role in Afghanistan - Nov 05, 2011